D&D General DND cartoon reboot on the way?

R_J_K75

Legend
For some perspective, these are the shows that ran alongside the D&D cartoon on CBS Saturday Morning during its' three year run.

View attachment 262426View attachment 262424 View attachment 262425
Wow I remember a lot of those.,,,"BROTHER"! Howd Hulk Hogan get his own cartoon? I always knew it was time to go outside and get into trouble when the two local bowling shows came on after Saturday cartoons were over. Beat the Champ and Bowling for Dollars. It was hilarious, me and a few friends were sitting around drinking after watching a hockey game and we came across a Beat the Champ revival. I was astonished it was still on the air. All I could think of was King Pin and laugh. I think it was shot in a bowling alley a few blocks from my house, but you'd think these guys were in the Superbowl the way the contestants and announcers were acting.

Attachments

• New Beat the Champ.jpg
    New Beat the Champ.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 33

teitan

Legend
Right, G1 continued in Japan for several years, but Zone (1990 OVA) was the last G1 cartoon (Japanese or otherwise). TF: G2 premiered in 1993, and then Beast Wars first aired in 1996 (Japan 1997). So if you count G2, there's a gap between 1990 and 1993; if you don't, between 1990 and 1995. And something Transformers pretty much every year after that.

Agreed on Lodoss War, however. (Legend of Vox Machina probably feels more like an actual D&D game, though.)
On Vox, yes. Right down to the perverted Gnome. Even in my DCC game it gets downright silly. They named a troll making pies out of paupers and children Petunia and hatched a plan to get him to the mountains so he can make his pies for his goblin friends with mountain goats instead.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I dont have kids so I wouldnt know, but do young kids even watch cartoons anymore? Would this even interest kids these days?
Sure they do. Lots. Yes, if made for kids by producers and creators with experience making successful kids cartoons, who also had a respect and love for the source material, I think that they could make the cartoon appeal to both kids and nostalgic adults.

MNblockhead

How do you see the characters arriving in whatever D&D setting the reboot is going to use? The magical roller coaster or something else? curious
Keep the magic roller coaster fun ride. They sill exist and actually there seem to be more multi-media style rides than traditional roller coasters in many theme parks these days. Kids will still relate. Its iconic. Keeping it would keep true to the source material while still being relatable to kids who have had no exposure to the source material.

MNblockhead

I never watched anime except for catching a Dragon Ball Z or Pokemon episode waking up having left the TV on so Im not familiar with its tropes. I can say I dont care for the animation style. Closest I came to watching anime was the 80s Voltron cartoon.
Regarding anime, give "Deathnote" and "Attack on Titan" a try. With Attack on Titan, stick with it for the first few episodes. There are some conventions in Anime that may annoy those not used to anime, such as the over-wrought narration of feelings or the over the top expression of emotions. But AoT is not too bad in this regard. It is definately worth sticking with it. It has very rich story telling and great action scenes. Death note is just a good supernatural police procedural where you see the story from both the "good guys" and "bad guys" actions, wondering how it will all resolve. Both were very good. These were how my son got this old man into anime a bit. I'm still not an anime fan, but every genre has great stand-out works.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Awesome, but I fear it will end up looking like a Steven Universe style instead of a pseudo-anime style. I guess that depends on the tone. Looks at Teen Titans and Thundercats reboot...

MNblockhead

Fwiw, they're available on Youtube, in low-ish quality: D&D Cartoon playlist.
There are only 27 episodes, each just over 20 minutes, so it's easy enough to blow through them all in a week or two.
Thanks for sharing. Do you know the link for the unofficial cartoon of the last episode? Someone took the script and using artwork from the entire series put together the final show. It was really quite good. But I didn't bookmark/save it.

Keep the magic roller coaster fun ride. They sill exist and actually there seem to be more multi-media style rides than traditional roller coasters in many theme parks these days. Kids will still relate. Its iconic. Keeping it would keep true to the source material while still being relatable to kids who have had no exposure to the source material.
I was thinking that the characters in the reboot could be playing an actual D&D game when they have a Jumanji moment. ;) When they come to in whatever D&D setting the reboot uses, they have become their D&D characters.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases