• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DnD mapper program

animal chubs

First Post
hey, im just looking for software that is great for mapping dnd tiles. (a buddy lives far away and we play on roll 20) Anyway, i just need software that has textures and just allows me to make maps easily. I normally use Pyromancers dungon maker, but i want somthing that uses more textures. i've look everywhere! i found Dundjinni and the textures people make look awesome! but idk if its worth the money for a program that looks out of date. But anyway, let me know what you guys think. Thank you!

ShadoWWW

Explorer
Yes, of course. CC3 itself is however more focused on landscape mapping. It has also basic tools for dungeon mapping. There are also add-ons like Dungeon Designer, City Designer, Character Artist etc. adding more specialized tools for easier drawing of dungeon maps, city maps, paper pawns of characters etc. Those add-ons are paid though. You can check video tutorials on youtube.

Arkon262

First Post
I have used CC3 and found it to be horrid, overpriced shovelware. It has a UI from the Windows 3.1 days and the quality of the maps it makes is pretty poor. I now use Gimp and tiles I find on sites like Dundjinni, as well as tile sets I have purchased from Roll20 to make my maps.

aramis erak

Legend
The one I used to prefer is CC2 with the DD2 expansion... that said, the interface is pretty standard for AutoCAD imitators, and many (hopefully merely ignorant) people assume errantly that it's a windows 3.X design issue. Note that I've used a few different CAD packages (no others for Windows, mind), and CC2 is pretty much the same interface type. Tell it what you're going to do, then what to do it to, then tell it to do it.

If, however, you want good, cheap, not-a-CAD-interface... Inkwell Ideas' Dungeonographer is cheap (can use the online for free), multiplatform (it's standard compiled Java), and straightforward. If you want to customize the menus, you need to pay for it. (It's a bit overpriced.)

I'm using a decent (but hard to learn) drawing program on the mac called Easydraw 3... it was cheap (under $5.) Newer versions are more expensive... it runs fine on 10.10, it was cheap, and it even has a hex-grid tool.

MattMH

First Post
As the developer I may be biased, but there's always this:

Dungeon Mapper

You can always modify free textures from sites like Dundjinni and import them. Admittedly, that might be tedious. But could be worth it for you.

Remove ads