D&D 5E DnDBeyond non WotC content video game tie in?

ChaosOS

Legend
What's embarrassing is I think the design was done by James Haeck, a dmsguild adept and lead writer for dndbeyond. Good thing these ttrpg companies prioritize "culture fit" ...

Anything that's even tangential to LoL is probably a good move re: expanding the playerbase, even if LoL isn't the force it once was. If nothing else it has an interesting setting. Also glad to see Beyond doing third-party content. I mean, they really need to get all the WotC content up and running, which still isn't the case, but I'd love to see more third-party stuff on there, especially as they're moving into VTT territory.

I have mentioned several times about Wotc could test the idea of intercompany crossovers as potential hooks to get more fandom. Maybe some doors are starting to open to allow some possible intercompany crossovers. Riot could publish their own books of lore, totally agnostic system, but a Runeterra setting published by WotC wouldn't be totally imposible. Later other videogames or comic-strip (& manga) franchises could be adapted into D&D. If there was a Warcraft d20, why not a new Warcraft 5th Ed. published by WotC itself? (and a Diablo 4).

And if WotC is making money with these crossovers, then it will need a d20 system ready for other genres as space opera or far west, and we know the firearms sometimes can break the power balance.

What's embarrassing is I think the design was done by James Haeck, a dmsguild adept and lead writer for dndbeyond. Good thing these ttrpg companies prioritize "culture fit" ...
Frankly his work is hit or miss. And is on the poorly designed side mostly. Guild Adept works are also hit or miss. More training of them is needed. Or oversight. They sometimes put out garbage.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Frankly his work is hit or miss. And is on the poorly designed side mostly. Guild Adept works are also hit or miss. More training of them is needed. Or oversight. They sometimes put out garbage.

He seems like a guy with a lot of good ideas, but who has a hard time with the mechanical balance of of thing. He's credited for:
  • Dragon Heist, which is a bunch of cool ideas put together haphazardly in a shallow adventure.
  • Stronghold and Followers, which has a lot of cool mechanics, but they are not balanced between them and interact poorly with the base system.
  • Wildemount, with its weird (maybe overly)strong spells and archetypes.

Anyway, he's not the only designer on these project, but I think he would really benefit by having a rule crafter ala Crawford when working on new ideas. To me he seems like a younger Mearls, awesome, brilliant and innovative ideas with poor implementation. nothing that cant be remedied with time and teamwork, though.

Anyway, he's not the only designer on these project, but I think he would really benefit by having a rule crafter ala Crawford when working on new ideas.

Honestly this applies to a huge amount of D&D stuff, including WotC stuff. I looked through these subclasses, and whilst they lean towards the "powerful" side, and the idea that someone other than a Fighter might take the shooter one is alarming and obviously not something you'd want to happen, they're better-designed and worded than most 3PP classes that seem well-regarded. Though I am really mystified why they don't say "Fighter" and "Rogue" and instead say "Martial" and "Rogue-ish".

Frankly, though, they needed someone like Crawford to go over the races for Ravnica and Theros. If he did, that's a bit embarrassing for him, because a number of them are well into the "underpowered" realm, and also don't do their job well mechanically. Likewise the Glory Paladin is fairly sad.

And I feel very certain some of the stuff in Xanathars, particularly our old friend Healing Spirit, wasn't run past Crawford.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases