D&D 5E dndcombat.com retired, will stay down

NotAYakk

Legend
I get it. But look at it this way: the annual cost to run this application was $8000. That's beyond trivial for a deployment. The cost of porting a working application to another platform is... a lot more than $8K!
Sure, but with one of these means you learned how to port a Java app to WASM. Which, to some people, is fun.

With the other, you have your bank account shrinking by 8k every year, and if it gets more popular it gets worse.

I know which one I would be more likely to be able to convince my spouse to work. :)

Sure, but with one of these means you learned how to port a Java app to WASM. Which, to some people, is fun.

With the other, you have your bank account shrinking by 8k every year, and if it gets more popular it gets worse.

I know which one I would be more likely to be able to convince my spouse to work. :)
I wasn't trying to put down your suggestions. For something like this to be viable, it needs at least a small staff and some sort of 3rd party service to run the infrastructure (AWS is the most reliable go to IMO... there are other services. Or maybe you want to run this out of your basement.). Kudos to @Greggy C for developing and running this on his own, but that's an operation that will suck the life out of your life.

Those operating costs (which are according to Greggy C $8K annually) need to be paid for by the business. If you are some sort of independently wealthy individual who wants to fund this because this is your passion... great. But in the real world, no. Find a way to pay for it.

:)
You also have to balance the fun you're having with creating a business. It's a balance. You're here for the first, but the second pays the bills. Finding that balance is where it's at. You might find that the balance lies beyond you're tipping point. In that case, your comfort zone is passion projects you fund yourself, just for your interest's sake. Which is absolutely cool.

Jasper_Nickels

Villager
Man, I just started using your website last year. I enjoyed using it by putting different monsters in teams of 4 and seeing who would win. Along with using it for one-shots. I'm bummed to see it go, but I'm glad I got an explanation as to why the site has been down for a while.
I hope you do well on those other projects and I hope to see your combat simulator again in the future.

Keyfire

Villager
It was an excellent project. A really big step up in accuracy compared to other methods. Extensive and easy to use too.
Other methods, even just eyeballing, are fine for many encounters. But for higher level, high-stakes play, there is no other method that lets you balance a fight to have such wonderful and very real tension, without outright killing your party (unless they screw up!)

....I am definitely going to miss it like a lost arm as I DM the closing section of Tomb of Annihilation.
You deserve to have been hired or earning for creating it.

Ah well. Thank you for the service you gave us. I appreciated it and will miss it. :)

stinny_winny

Villager
Hey @Greggy C , was using your simulator and sad to see it gone, such a useful tool. As it happens. I'm a professional programmer with quite a lot of experience in java. If you are interested in having a "hands off" continuation of the project. I'd be happy to try and set up a subscription service to cover costs and rebuild / reconfigure whatever parts of the architecture is proprietary, but let you keep majority rights over the app itself. Let me know if you are interested.

Greggy C

Hero
Hey @Greggy C , was using your simulator and sad to see it gone, such a useful tool. As it happens. I'm a professional programmer with quite a lot of experience in java. If you are interested in having a "hands off" continuation of the project. I'd be happy to try and set up a subscription service to cover costs and rebuild / reconfigure whatever parts of the architecture is proprietary, but let you keep majority rights over the app itself. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks for the offer, my website app was covered by the Wotc "Fan Content Policy", under which you can't charge for access.
In addition it wasn't covered by the OGL/SRD because I had every monster in there, so could only be used under Fan Content.

Now with the fascinating direction that the OGL is taking, its a pretty bad idea to stay in this digital space.

I'm going to keep an eye on things, maybe Pathfinder 3 will come out soon, I could automate that for fun.
I'm pretty sure there will be hundreds of RPGs coming out in the next year.
Of course social media is designed to only let there be one winner, but maybe the community will rally around a contender.

liontowel

Villager
Might be a little late now, but is there anyway to find that map of the world at least? It was the best one I've found and I just enjoyed looking it over and making up different scenarios in my head and being able to point my finger to where it was happening in the world. No map I can find comes close to how the one you had up. :(

Greggy C

Hero
Might be a little late now, but is there anyway to find that map of the world at least? It was the best one I've found and I just enjoyed looking it over and making up different scenarios in my head and being able to point my finger to where it was happening in the world. No map I can find comes close to how the one you had up. :(
if enworld wants to host it, I can find the files, it just requires a directory.

Remove ads