D&D 5E Do all the rules need to be released at once?

Hussar

Legend
Heh, silly me. I just googled White Wolf and got the White Wolf Publishing site;

http://www.white-wolf.com/

which is dead.

Then clicked on the Facebook link on that page and got;

https://www.facebook.com/whitewolfpublishing?ref=ts

which hasn't seen a post in almost two years.

Like I said, it's not like they look all that healthy.

And, let's be honest here, if you have to got the Kickstarter route for getting a book published, you're not in the best financial position for a company.

delericho

Legend
I might be mistaken, but my understanding was that White Wolf aren't doing much for the new versions of the games other than lending their names - I think the actual work is being done by The Onyx Path.

delericho

Legend
Shadowrun, in it's second decade, is releasing a FIFTH edition and has changed hands how many times?

Nitpick: Shadowrun was first published in 1989, twenty four years ago. So it's in its third decade.

I believe the property is on its third set of owners (Fasa, WizKids, Topps), although WizKids licensed it to FanPro for 4th Ed and Topps have licenses it to Catalyst Game Labs for the 5th. (Source)

I might be mistaken, but my understanding was that White Wolf aren't doing much for the new versions of the games other than lending their names - I think the actual work is being done by The Onyx Path.
Correct. White Wolf was purchased by a gaming company interested in making an MMO and since then they've opted to focus on their existing games. Which meant ceasing publication.
And they've licensed the name out to another company, which is relying on Print on Demand and Kickstarter.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And, let's be honest here, if you have to got the Kickstarter route for getting a book published, you're not in the best financial position for a company.

That seems like some old-style thinking, to me. Look at it differently, for a moment. Why should a company assume all the financial risk of a release, when they can get someone else to assume that risk?

delericho

Legend

On the Onyx Path website (linked a few posts ago), it indicates that they're not actually using Kickstarter to fund the book, but rather that they're using it to fund a deluxe version of the book, which is a slightly different concern.

But one thing I do definitely agree with you about: the models currently being pursued for the World of Darkness games and Shadowrun are really not an approach WotC should really take - the conditions on which they operate are almost entirely different.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But one thing I do definitely agree with you about: the models currently being pursued for the World of Darkness games and Shadowrun are really not an approach WotC should really take - the conditions on which they operate are almost entirely different.

Certainly. The basic point to come away with is that there's more than one way for a game to have 20+ years of life.

While Hussar is saying that there's not much economic health, look at that Werewolf kickstarter. $380,000! Anyone in the business who isn't WotC or Paizo would probably love to have that kind of gross revenue for a single product! If you consider that sales, it is a stunning success!

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Personally, I'd prefer all three core books in the same month.
Perhaps with a new or updated adventure.
The fully compatible Basic Box set can hit either a month before, or the same month, you probably don't want to release it after the Standard Core is released.

If they have an adventure ready with monsters within, I could put up with a release delay of a month for the MM.

delericho

Legend
Certainly. The basic point to come away with is that there's more than one way for a game to have 20+ years of life.

True.

While Hussar is saying that there's not much economic health, look at that Werewolf kickstarter. $380,000! Anyone in the business who isn't WotC or Paizo would probably love to have that kind of gross revenue for a single product!

I wouldn't be surprised if even WotC and Paizo considered that a stunning success for a single product, especially if you excluded their PHB/Core Rulebook.

Stalker0

Legend
While Hussar is saying that there's not much economic health, look at that Werewolf kickstarter. $380,000! Anyone in the business who isn't WotC or Paizo would probably love to have that kind of gross revenue for a single product! If you consider that sales, it is a stunning success!

Completely agree. I can put something on kickstarter, if it doesn't work, i simply give the money back. If it works, i have guaranteed revenue to create my product, and then continuous revenue can be generated after the product is made. From a financial standpoint, that is liquid gold, who wouldn't use that model if they could?

Remove ads