Do Awards affect your Shopping habits?

Do Awards affect your Purchasing Decisions

• Poll closed .

Lhorgrim

Explorer
I usually research the ENnie winning games if I am not familiar with the system.

I don't get to spend as much time at this hobby as I would like, so lots of good games slip under my radar. I had never heard of Eclipse Phase before the awards announcements, and after some checking I find that it looks like something I might enjoy.

Wicht

Hero
Based on most of the answers thus far, I think it safe to say that winning an award is far more beneficial than not for a game or product.

While there are those that ignore awards, or who are not aware of them the number of people who are less likely to look at a game because it has won an award are statistically insignificant when compared to 1) Those who actually want to examine award winners and 2) the positive word of mouth generated by the fact an award has been won. Even those who look at award winners without buying them, I would suggest, play into that second point, helping to generate and maintain the positive word of mouth that will result in more sales.

Or, in other words, a company can only gain from being part of the award process. Its hard to see a downside.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Don't Awards contribute to Word of Mouth?

I know that Mouse Guard, last year, was much more talked about after it won awards than before. Likewise, Eclipse Phase was a game I had heard mentioned, but more so after the ENnie nod this year. That is, the Award gives people an opportunity to talk when they might otherwise not mention how much they like the game.

Likewise, the Awards stimulate reviews as well, do they not: forcing people that write reviews to take a closer look if they had previously not written about a certain game.
Oh, there is certainly an effect, but its secondary to me. I'd say that if I saw that it won an award but no one talked about it I'd ignore it, but how likely is that to happen?

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Or, in other words, a company can only gain from being part of the award process. Its hard to see a downside.
I think you're right - but this goes to show that awards are something companies have a vested interest in promoting, not something to which customers/players/fans should necessarily pay much attention.

This is, of course, no different from the Academy Awards or the Country Music Awards or anything else.

Wicht

Hero
I think you're right - but this goes to show that awards are something companies have a vested interest in promoting, not something to which customers/players/fans should necessarily pay much attention.

To assume this to be true, one must assume the awards are given without merit based entirely on the self promotion of the company(s) involved. I do not see this to be the case. You must also presume the judges are not truly interested in quality and that the voting public is either ill-informed or easily swayed by the fact that companies announce their nominations after the fact. I don't see either of those to be the case either.

Even if a company encourages their fans to vote, for the fans to vote they must care enough about either the company or its products. The act of attracting fans is itself something of a quality test: does a company produce material that causes people to care.

Furthermore, the company sending material to the judges also informs us the company itself cares about its reputation and the quality of its products. They are going to be sending in their best stuff. A company could send all of the junk they wanted to the judges but if its no good, the judges, I trust will recognize that fact and, if I was a judge, I would be turned off by a glut of bad material coming from a company.

S

Sunseeker

I generally look to user reviews, a lot of people saying a game was fun and entertaining will get me to buy it more than someone saying the game was such-in-such award of the year.

Not to mention I buy a lot of games right upon their release, and they haven't won any serious awards yet.

So, overall, no, gaming awards are either ignored by choice or ignorance.

Argyle King

Legend
I don't even know what the results of the Ennies are. I don't imagine the general community as a whole shares many of my tastes.

edit: I just now looked up the results; D&D Minis getting the gold is an obvious sign to me that my views are miles away from the community.

Last edited:

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
To assume this to be true, one must assume the awards are given without merit based entirely on the self promotion of the company(s) involved. I do not see this to be the case. You must also presume the judges are not truly interested in quality and that the voting public is either ill-informed or easily swayed by the fact that companies announce their nominations after the fact. I don't see either of those to be the case either.
No, you've misinterpreted my post.

The main value of the ENnie awards is to the companies whose products are nominated and recognised with awards. They are the only people who benefit in any real way, by having interest raised and by increasing their general prestige in the industry.

Compared to this, the value to the customer/gamer/fan is vanishingly small. Stack up "I might be made aware of a game I didn't know about before or check out one I was on the fence about" against the potential for increased sales and awareness, being able to describe a game as "award-winning" in ad copy, et cetera - it's no contest.

Even if a company encourages their fans to vote, for the fans to vote they must care enough about either the company or its products. The act of attracting fans is itself something of a quality test: does a company produce material that causes people to care.
This is wrong and I can prove it with graphs, but two words will suffice:

Palladium Books.

Furthermore, the company sending material to the judges also informs us the company itself cares about its reputation and the quality of its products. They are going to be sending in their best stuff. A company could send all of the junk they wanted to the judges but if its no good, the judges, I trust will recognize that fact and, if I was a judge, I would be turned off by a glut of bad material coming from a company.
You're still misinterpreting what I said.

Yes, companies are motivated to send their best stuff in, because they hope to be nominated or to win awards. Of course, their reasons for doing that are the same as their reasons for producing good games in the first place, and so the extent to which they succeed at the latter will influence how well they succeed at the former.

I'm not accusing the ENnies of being completely blind to quality. The whole reason there are multiple judges is to sort the wheat from the chaff. The fact is, however, that of the products which are nominated the choice of winners is a straight popularity contest - you can't draw any direct conclusions about quality from the final results. That's why you see people in this thread or a similar one on RPG.net declaring that they're more interested in the nominees than the winners; the winners are just the nominated products with the biggest fanbase, while the nominees are theoretically selected on the basis of quality (to the extent that it can be determined by the judging process) from all products submitted for consideration.

Even then, each individual person has to consider their own preferences and how they match up to those of the judges, the community, and the industry. To a lesser or greater extent there will always be differences. Even the most excited and enthusiastic Pathfinder fan can probably name at least one or two supplements or adventures that disappointed them in some way despite being popular with the rest of the fan community.

questing gm

First Post
If winning awards helps my favorite publishers/designers continue making better games, they get my vote and sooner or later, my money. ;)

But buying a game because it was the 'Lord of the Rings' of the ENnies doesn't put any weight in why I should buy the game in the first place. ;)

Remove ads