Level Up (A5E) Do Basic Maneuvers require an attack action or are they a their own action?

The short: Can a familiar, who cannot attack, use basic maneuvers?

If using a basic maneuver requires an attack action to replace then no.
If that's the case, can a player not attack and overrun in the same turn without an extra attack to burn?

Yes. Basic Maneuvers all say they what kind of action they are, but do they require an Attack Action to replace in order to be used?

The Actions in Combat page says:
"You can always choose to Disarm, Grapple, Knockdown, Overrun, or Shove as a basic maneuver instead of making an attack."

Which gives the option for replacing when there are multiple attacks available.
But does using one require an Attack Action to begin with or are they their own actions?

Stalker0

Legend
The Actions in Combat page says:
"You can always choose to Disarm, Grapple, Knockdown, Overrun, or Shove as a basic maneuver instead of making an attack."
The trick to remember, attacks and attack actions are not the same thing.

The above quote does not mention attack actions, only attacks, so attack actions are not needed. If you get an attack by any means, you can swap it for a basic maneuver.

Conversely certain things require an attack action...and those things do NOT work on attacks generated outside of an attack action (such as an opportunity attack)

Stalker0

Legend
Which is how we've been playing it, but I had wanted to clarify.

By this logic, a familiar would be able to use basic maneuvers. Say a trip and an overrun.
I don't have my books handy but I believe you said above that a familiar cannot attack. If that is correct, than they cannot use basic maneuvers (which require attacks)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Which is how we've been playing it, but I had wanted to clarify.

By this logic, a familiar would be able to use basic maneuvers. Say a trip and an overrun.
Creatures without attack actions can use maneuvers which do not require an attack action if they have access to the actions which those maneuvers require.

There’s no trip basic maneuver. Overrun requires an action or a bonus action.

Remove ads