Level Up (A5E) Do Basic Maneuvers require an attack action or are they a their own action?

Basic maneuvers do basic maneuver damage. Grab On is a basic maneuver. Why wouldn’t it do basic maneuver damage?
because basic maneuvers that do basic maneuver damage explicitly state that they do so, and grab on doesn't (again, except in the case of the creature being grabbed successfully dislodging the grabbing creature).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
because basic maneuvers that do basic maneuver damage explicitly state that they do so, and grab on doesn't (again, except in the case of the creature being grabbed successfully dislodging the grabbing creature).
The rule is that basic maneuvers do basic maneuver damage.

You’re welcome to do what you want in your own game, of course. But that’s the rule as written. It’s very clear. :)

IMG_1800.jpeg

The rule is that basic maneuvers do basic maneuver damage.

You’re welcome to do what you want in your own game, of course. But that’s the rule as written. It’s very clear. :)
what i don't understand, then, is why grab on is the only basic maneuver to not mention you deal basic melee damage on a success when every other basic maneuver does so despite the general rule. wouldn't it make more sense, at that point, to just remove the general rule of "basic maneuvers do basic melee damage on a success" and just specify in grab on that you do basic melee damage on a success, as opposed to setting a precedent with every other basic maneuver except grab on for apparently no reason?

personally i'll probably not have grab on do basic melee damage just because moving on and off a creature a bunch of times to try and inflict a bunch of damage is just kind of silly.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
what i don't understand, then, is why grab on is the only basic maneuver to not mention you deal basic melee damage on a success when every other basic maneuver does so despite the general rule. wouldn't it make more sense, at that point, to just remove the general rule of "basic maneuvers do basic melee damage on a success" and just specify in grab on that you do basic melee damage on a success, as opposed to setting a precedent with every other basic maneuver except grab on for apparently no reason?

personally i'll probably not have grab on do basic melee damage just because moving on and off a creature a bunch of times to try and inflict a bunch of damage is just kind of silly.
I don’t know what you want me to say.

The rule is that basic maneuvers do basic melee damage.

You would prefer one of them didn’t.

Sure. OK. Knock yourself out! It’s your game! :)

I don’t know what you want me to say.

The rule is that basic maneuvers do basic melee damage.

You would prefer one of them didn’t.

Sure. OK. Knock yourself out! It’s your game! :)
i mean, i would, but that's not why i'm confused. if you don't have an answer, though, then ok, i guess.

Remove ads