• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do DM's feel that Sharpshooter & Great Weapon Master overpowered?

As a DM do you feel that Sharpshooter & GWM are overpowered?

• Poll closed .

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Under this proposed rule, Spell Sniper warlocks >>> archer fighters. Is that really what you're going for? More spellcaster dominance?

Dex 20 Archer Fighter 12 w/ Sharpshooter' (proposed variant) and a Longbow vs. AC 18 Adult White Dragon: 3 attacks at +11 for d8+5 damage on a hit = 20.63 damage on average.
Why is the fighter archer not using archery fighting style, for +13 (miss on 4 or less)? That alters the hit chances to 75% normal, 5% crit, increasing damage to 23.48 on average. Huh, much closer. Also, why isn't the archer fighter a champion? That changes hit chance to 70% normal, 10% crit, and damage becomes 24.15. Give the archer a +1 weapon and it's just about even. That nicely offsets the comparison to the tweaked class build.

Also, if the dragon is more than 240' away, then fighter's DPR stays the same while the warsorcs drops to 0.

And if you use a hunter ranger, with greater favored enemy dragons, and it kicks both the fighter and the warsorc's butts.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'm not stating it as if I find it profound - I'm stating it because, prior to me stating it, it was being ignored by some and phrased by others in ways that had a connotation that suggested they think that if the DM's choice of monsters does anything but make these feats as powerful as they can possibly be, that said DM is "fixing" something "broken" rather than what you and I now agree upon, and hopefully no one else questions, is just the DM doing what a DM does.
I don't recall anyone saying anything of the kind.

The DM is not "moderating the feats" - the DM is just doing what a DM does. Not some special "the game is asking more of the DM than it should" situation.
Ah, more out of context quoting that distorts the fact that I was addressing the specific case of choosing monsters for the express purpose of moderating the feats. This is clearly misrepresenting me with selective editing. Also, it takes more work to selectively edit, so I don't understand why you feel the need except to mischaracterize.

No, it is not a "big ask" for any DM to notice that something is making their game less enjoyable. Because that's seriously how easy it is to notice an issue if (not when, since there's no guarantee that a group will take issue with these feats, nor that a group that would take issue with them will ever actually face conditions that point that issue out to them) one arises. And while some people decry trial & error as being the worst thing to have to do, it really isn't, especially not when dealing with things that are subjective like what seems fun - if something turned out not as fun as you wanted, you just try whatever else sounds fun.
So, your argument is that it's very easy for a first time DM to change things on the fly to create a good game. That flies against all experience for everyone. First time DMs already have a hard enough time engaging successfully with the rules with the expectation that the rules do a good enough job. Now you say that they should also be good enough at the start to figure out where rules don't necessarily work as expected and may disrupt their expected experience? Sorry, I can't agree that it's blithely easy to DM a game. I've been DMing for decades, now, and I can do it, but I sucked at it when I started. Like sucked bad. My first game was a trainwreck. And I haven't seen anything that suggests that this is not the usual.

Have you never heard a parent phrase something similarly, such as "I'll clean up your room, but I don't think you'll like it."?
Do you think I'm your parent, or that I have as much influence on your life as your parents? I'm flattered, but no.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I don't recall anyone saying anything of the kind.
Look at the math used to show the power of the feat by anyone that's ever concluded "it's broken" - they assume an average AC other than that set by how the DM chooses monsters. Then look at any time someone brings up "...but what if the DM doesn't choose that many low-AC enemies?" and how the replies seem to treat that as inherently different from the DM choosing monsters that match the average AC used in the math.

...specific case...
Here's the thing; I'm not taking you out of context - I'm telling you there is no such thing as the context you think you are in. The "specific case" you mention is the same as the general case.

This is clearly misrepresenting me with selective editing.
No, that's not what I'm doing.
Also, it takes more work to selectively edit, so I don't understand why you feel the need except to mischaracterize.
I've already told you my reasons for doing it. You can view that earlier post in this thread again to give yourself a second shot at understanding them, and I encourage you to ask questions about the reasons I provide if they remain not understood.

And again I'll tell you that my intent is not to mischaracterize your statements, nor represent anything you haven't said as something that you have said. And because I have told you this, repeatedly, I'll ask that you stop accusing me of ill intent.

So, your argument is that it's very easy for a first time DM to change things on the fly to create a good game.
For someone accusing others as intentionally misrepresenting their statements, it is very unexpected that you'd misrepresent someone else - which is what you have done by telling me my argument.

And no, I didn't say anything about "a good game" - I said only that a DM, no matter how new, will recognize anything that they feel was not good.

That flies against all experience for everyone.
You've overstated that. You don't know what everyone's experience has been.
First time DMs already have a hard enough time engaging successfully with the rules with the expectation that the rules do a good enough job.Now you say that they should also be good enough at the start to figure out where rules don't necessarily work as expected and may disrupt their expected experience?
I don't agree that first time DMs are all going to be expecting what you seem to think they will of the rules - in fact, I've experienced more often having to suggest to a first time DM not to alter things on a whim just because they saw some rule they think they'd rather be different, but to try it out as-is first and then alter if it doesn't work out for them, than I have experienced having to help a first time DM figure out which rule in particular was the one needing attention to suit their desires.

Because, to use Great Weapon Master as the example, noticing you don't like something is as simple as having it happen: A player with Great Weapon Master hits the monster the first time DM has put in play, and wham! bunch-o'-damage lays the thing to waste faster than the DM thought it would be killed off - and if the expedient killing of a monster is an issue for the DM in question, they can very easily say "That sucked, your character does too much damage." and start thinking about a fix - the obvious ones being character does less damage, or monster takes more damage to put down.

I've been DMing for decades, now, and I can do it, but I sucked at it when I started. Like sucked bad. My first game was a trainwreck. And I haven't seen anything that suggests that this is not the usual.
My first game was awful... if I compare it to my later, and especially my recent, games.

If I ask myself honestly if I thought it was good at the time, the answer is a resounding, confident, "absolutely." No, I didn't think it was perfect. No, I didn't think I had no issues at all. In fact, the truth of the matter is that my first session ever (not just as a DM, it was my first session of any kind of table-top RPG and I was DMing from just having read through the books once) ended with me thinking "Okay, so an ogre isn't a good thing for a 1st level fighter to try to take on alone - I'll find something that deals less damage for next time"

And maybe I'm inaccurate in thinking that similar experience to that - a train-wreck in hindsight that was plenty of fun at the time - is common among gamers, and that I'm not some prodigy... but I really think that it is true, because if everybody was having terrible trainwrecks that they couldn't even begin to figure out how to improve upon, I don't think so many people would be playing the game decades later like the two of us.

Do you think I'm your parent, or that I have as much influence on your life as your parents?
I said nothing that indicated that I think either of those things, nor that is reasonable for you to interpret as indicating those things.

Why is the fighter archer not using archery fighting style, for +13 (miss on 4 or less)? That alters the hit chances to 75% normal, 5% crit, increasing damage to 23.48 on average. Huh, much closer. Also, why isn't the archer fighter a champion? That changes hit chance to 70% normal, 10% crit, and damage becomes 24.15. Give the archer a +1 weapon and it's just about even. That nicely offsets the comparison to the tweaked class build.

Also, if the dragon is more than 240' away, then fighter's DPR stays the same while the warsorcs drops to 0.

And if you use a hunter ranger, with greater favored enemy dragons, and it kicks both the fighter and the warsorc's ----.

Your math is wrong. The +11 already includes Archery style. +5 from Dex, +4 from proficiency, +2 from Archery style. You don't get to add it twice for +13.

The Sharpshooter and the Spell Sniper Warlock both have the exact same range: 600'. (Well, except that the Sorlock has the option for 1200' range if he invests in Distant Spell, but not many people do that.) Hex only has a 90' range though, so the sorlock doesn't dominate as thoroughly at extreme range. He's still better though: 172% (35) of the Fighter's damage (20) with Quicken Spell, 95% (19) without, plus full spellcasting.

I should hope that a Hunter vs. its favored enemy would do well! But if you do the math, it actually doesn't do that great. Depending on what assumptions you make about advantage, feats, etc., it clocks in somewhere between 19 and 30ish damage, competitive with the Sorlock who isn't Quickening but worse than the Sorlock who is.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Look at the math used to show the power of the feat by anyone that's ever concluded "it's broken" - they assume an average AC other than that set by how the DM chooses monsters. Then look at any time someone brings up "...but what if the DM doesn't choose that many low-AC enemies?" and how the replies seem to treat that as inherently different from the DM choosing monsters that match the average AC used in the math.
No one has made those arguments. I mean, yes, someone has used math to show the "power" of the feat, and someone has concluded that the feats are broken (very few, though, and not me, to whom you are responding), and average AC has been referenced in some side arguments (the average taken from all creatures and from creatures at certain CRs). The next argument though, the one where you say 'but what if the DM doesn't choose that many low-AC enemies" does not result in your argument "they think that if the DM's choice of monsters does anything but make these feats as powerful as they can possibly be, that said DM is "fixing" something "broken"."

You're conflating arguments to create an argument not made.

Here's the thing; I'm not taking you out of context - I'm telling you there is no such thing as the context you think you are in. The "specific case" you mention is the same as the general case.
Ah, so you taking me out of context isn't actually taking me out of context because you know what I'm saying better than I do, plus it's wrong.

No.
No, that's not what I'm doing.
Yes, it is. Twice now you have snipped a sentence immediately before I provide the qualifying and illuminating points for my argument, and then attacked the snipped piece as if I never said the other parts. You've snipped my arguments and then refuted the snipped parts with arguments that are themselves refuted by my full quote. It's a strange and nasty game that you continue to intentionally play and could easily be avoided by not selectively editing your quotes of me.

I've already told you my reasons for doing it. You can view that earlier post in this thread again to give yourself a second shot at understanding them, and I encourage you to ask questions about the reasons I provide if they remain not understood.
I didn't forget what you claimed, but that's not what's occurring.

And again I'll tell you that my intent is not to mischaracterize your statements, nor represent anything you haven't said as something that you have said. And because I have told you this, repeatedly, I'll ask that you stop accusing me of ill intent.
You are mischaracterizing my arguments by taking them out of context. This is easy to see in every case because your counterarguments ignore the parts you didn't quote that directly address your counter arguments. Your selective edits are allowing you to continue a conversation by continually ignoring the premises of my points that you dislike. That's not editing for clarity, it's direct misrepresentation.

For someone accusing others as intentionally misrepresenting their statements, it is very unexpected that you'd misrepresent someone else - which is what you have done by telling me my argument.
That's honestly what I picked up from your statements. If it's not your intent, please, I'm all ears.

And no, I didn't say anything about "a good game" - I said only that a DM, no matter how new, will recognize anything that they feel was not good.
That's funny. Right below this you said you thought at the time that your first game was "absolutely" good, but now you recognize it wasn't. But here you claim that any DM will know what's not good about his game as he's running it and regardless of his experience? This is a bit of cognitive dissonance -- you're claiming two conflicting arguments are true of the same thing at the same time.

You've overstated that. You don't know what everyone's experience has been.
I'm pretty confident that no one runs a great game the first time out.

I don't agree that first time DMs are all going to be expecting what you seem to think they will of the rules - in fact, I've experienced more often having to suggest to a first time DM not to alter things on a whim just because they saw some rule they think they'd rather be different, but to try it out as-is first and then alter if it doesn't work out for them, than I have experienced having to help a first time DM figure out which rule in particular was the one needing attention to suit their desires.
Because, to use Great Weapon Master as the example, noticing you don't like something is as simple as having it happen: A player with Great Weapon Master hits the monster the first time DM has put in play, and wham! bunch-o'-damage lays the thing to waste faster than the DM thought it would be killed off - and if the expedient killing of a monster is an issue for the DM in question, they can very easily say "That sucked, your character does too much damage." and start thinking about a fix - the obvious ones being character does less damage, or monster takes more damage to put down.
Your "in fact" is confirming my argument, not refuting it. The first time DM you counsel to not change things on a whim is very much expecting that change and the rest of the rules to work out a certain way, and, as you note, that's rarely the case. It takes experience to begin to anticipate how rules will actually function, and that's my point with these feats: the penalty looks like it will be effective in limiting the usefulness of the feats but they are actually more effective in more cases than is immediately apparent. By 10th level, it is better to use the feat against an AC 18 (which is rare for monsters) than to not to, and that's not assuming advantage or bless or bardic inspiration. Add those and it gets better. That's not immediately obvious.

And then your second sentence confirms my other point about an intentional selection of monsters to offset the feats. It's like you forgot what I was saying, or else grossly misunderstood it.

My first game was awful... if I compare it to my later, and especially my recent, games.

If I ask myself honestly if I thought it was good at the time, the answer is a resounding, confident, "absolutely." No, I didn't think it was perfect. No, I didn't think I had no issues at all. In fact, the truth of the matter is that my first session ever (not just as a DM, it was my first session of any kind of table-top RPG and I was DMing from just having read through the books once) ended with me thinking "Okay, so an ogre isn't a good thing for a 1st level fighter to try to take on alone - I'll find something that deals less damage for next time"
I actually am unsurprised by this. I, however, knew at the time my first game sucked, but I had good friends that were willing to muddle along for awhile. Then we rotated DMs and I went back to learning by observation. Then I got better. But, at no time, did I think I was "absolutely" a good DM. I count myself a better than fair one now because I'm constantly assessing what I could be doing better.

And maybe I'm inaccurate in thinking that similar experience to that - a train-wreck in hindsight that was plenty of fun at the time - is common among gamers, and that I'm not some prodigy... but I really think that it is true, because if everybody was having terrible trainwrecks that they couldn't even begin to figure out how to improve upon, I don't think so many people would be playing the game decades later like the two of us.
Trainwrecks can be their own kind of fun. I never said I didn't have fun, my game, however, was a trainwreck.

I said nothing that indicated that I think either of those things, nor that is reasonable for you to interpret as indicating those things.
Oh, come on. You said that my statement might be a threat. I said 'how could you possibly think it was a threat?' You responded with an example about a parent threatening a child with similar wording. I responded with asking you if you actually thought I had as much authority over you as a parent, with the intent to show that your example was ridiculous because, of course, I have no such authority or power over you. Apparently, you agree (as I expected you would). That you're upset by my question, given you floated the example that prompted it of a parent-child relationship, is really weird. Did you expect something else to occur from your example? Generally, when people tell me something works one way if one person is a parent and the other a child, I am going to ask how that's remotely applicable, and I may use sarcasm to do it because, really, how could you take such a thing seriously in the first place. It begs for sarcasm.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Your math is wrong. The +11 already includes Archery style. +5 from Dex, +4 from proficiency, +2 from Archery style. You don't get to add it twice for +13.
Mea culpa. For some reason, I read it as a 20th fighter, and that stuck for the attack bonus even when I realized you said 12th. You are correct. But the critical range increase was left out, which bring it up to 22.73. 4 DPR less against an optimized for Eldritch Blast exploitation build isn't bad.
The Sharpshooter and the Spell Sniper Warlock both have the exact same range: 600'. (Well, except that the Sorlock has the option for 1200' range if he invests in Distant Spell, but not many people do that.) Hex only has a 90' range though, so the sorlock doesn't dominate as thoroughly at extreme range. He's still better though: 172% (35) of the Fighter's damage (20) with Quicken Spell, 95% (19) without, plus full spellcasting.
Distant Spell and Spell Sniper do the same thing -- double a spell's range. They don't stack, whatever Crawford said. For some reason, I had forgotten the wording on Eldritch Spear, and thought it also doubled, but you are correct, it changes the range, which than allows spell sniper to double it to 600'. And if you quicken the spell, you should use the fighter's action surge as well. And the warsorc doesn't have full spellcasting -- he's short 2 levels. Warlock levels don't stack with Sorcerer levels for slot determination. The warsorc will always be 2 levels behind in spell levels he can cast compared to a full caster.
I should hope that a Hunter vs. its favored enemy would do well! But if you do the math, it actually doesn't do that great. Depending on what assumptions you make about advantage, feats, etc., it clocks in somewhere between 19 and 30ish damage, competitive with the Sorlock who isn't Quickening but worse than the Sorlock who is.
Same. At 12th, 2 attacks, 1d8+1d6+9 (no magic bow) for the first and 2d8+1d6+9 for the second (or vice versa, if already wounded at the start of the round). That's 17 on the first and 21.5 on the second, with the same hit chances at the fighter (65/5), for 30.98 per round. vs dragons. Against non-dragons, it's still 22.38

But, yeah, the warsorc build does it's shtick very well. That's not exactly a good counterargument -- that a trick build leveraging every synergy it can is an reason to not address the bentness of sharpshooter. It's a good reason to look at spell sniper, though. Double damage or ignore cover -- you choose each casting. If you can't tell, I think ranged combat is badly broken in 5e. It's a clearly superior choice, and you can almost completely remove the few drawbacks with feats (cover, range disadvantage, melee disadvantage). That wasn't well done.

Mea culpa. For some reason, I read it as a 20th fighter, and that stuck for the attack bonus even when I realized you said 12th. You are correct. But the critical range increase was left out, which bring it up to 22.73. 4 DPR less against an optimized for Eldritch Blast exploitation build isn't bad.

But you're not 4 DPR less. You're 30 DPR less. You're 4 DPR less than the baseline, non-optimized, easy Eldritch Blast warlock, and 30ish DPR less than the optimized Quickened Spell sorlock.

Distant Spell and Spell Sniper do the same thing -- double a spell's range. They don't stack, whatever Crawford said. For some reason, I had forgotten the wording on Eldritch Spear, and thought it also doubled, but you are correct, it changes the range, which than allows spell sniper to double it to 600'. And if you quicken the spell, you should use the fighter's action surge as well.

Sure, go ahead and use it. You've only got one Action Surge, whereas the Sorlock has an enormous number of Quickened Spells on tap if he chooses to spend his spell slots that way. If he doesn't, then it's because he's spending them on something even better.

And the warsorc doesn't have full spellcasting -- he's short 2 levels. Warlock levels don't stack with Sorcerer levels for slot determination. The warsorc will always be 2 levels behind in spell levels he can cast compared to a full caster.

Semantics. The sorlock has N levels of spellcasting; N - 2 as a Sorcerer and 2 as a warlock. He will have more slots per day than a Sorcerer N but, as you say, a lower max spell level. The point is that he's got an at-will attack as good as the Fighter's, but unlike the Fighter's N/3 casting he's got a full N (or N-2, however you want to count it) levels of spell slots to play with.

Eliminating Sharpshooter sniping heightens spellcaster supremacy. Keeping Sharpshooter/GWM as written gives Fighters (and Barbarians) a reason to exist.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
This complaint isn't asking to turn the game crunchier, it's about how the current crunch is a bit abusable and can lead to clear differences in effectiveness at some tables.
To help us better understand where you are trying to take this, could you offer up an example of a TTRPG system that does not suffer from this "problem"?
I don't think it's a significant issue in "free descriptor" systems like HeroWars/Quest, or Maelstrom Storytelling. This is probably even moreso in very light free descriptor systems like Cthulhu Dark.

Because Marvel Heroic RP comes pretty close to being a free descriptor system, I don't think it's a big problem in that game either - MHRP also has mechanics that come very close to being self-balancing across PCs that have smaller or larger numbers.

For different reasons, I don't think it's an issue in Burning Wheel in the same way as it can be in D&D, because in BW mechanical effectiveness in action resolution isn't the only thing, and often isn't even the main thing, that determines a player's impact on the shared fiction.

Flipping things around: I think that there are certain, distinctive features of D&D - it's hard to impact the fiction except by succeeding on action resolution; a given PC's action resolution capabilities are often built up out of very granular micro-elements (eg a feat list, a spell list, etc); there are many complex interactions between members of those micro-elements, which makes action resolution effectiveness very sensitive to particular combinations of such elements; and probably other stuff that I'm not thinking of at the moment - that make it especially vulnerable to this issue.

If options don't lead to differences, then they're not really options. And a game without options isn't fun.
The games that don't have this problem to the same extent still have options. It's just that those options don't tend to change mechanical effectiveness; rather, they tend to change the relationship between the character and the details of the shared fiction.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I've had enough of the accusations of ill intent and bad behavior, and seemingly deliberate misunderstandings, so I'm going to address just two last things and then I'm done.
That's funny. Right below this you said you thought at the time that your first game was "absolutely" good, but now you recognize it wasn't. But here you claim that any DM will know what's not good about his game as he's running it and regardless of his experience? This is a bit of cognitive dissonance -- you're claiming two conflicting arguments are true of the same thing at the same time.
You are flat out wrong.

I told you that any DM will notice if something about their game wasn't fun, and I provide you the example of my first session in which I noticed a particular thing that wasn't fun. There is no cognitive dissonance between that - noticing a thing that could have been better - and the other thing - thinking my session was a good one at the time, but knowing that my more recent sessions are even better.

But, at no time, did I think I was "absolutely" a good DM.
You seem, by the way you've put quotes on this one word in this sentence, to be implying that I said I think I was (or am) "absolutely" a good DM. That's not a thing I said.

I used the word "absolutely" only once; it was the answer I said I'd give if asked if I thought my first game was good at the time I ran it.

Remove ads