Do orcs in gaming display parallels to colonialist propaganda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadras

Legend
But I'd give 1 XP for the orclings.

The laugh is for this comment, otherwise I'd have given you an XP.
You seriously give 1XP for orclings, so you're incentivising them to become baby-slayers in your game? Very King Herod/Joffrey of you :lol:

I suppose it is like those video-games that incentivise bad behaviour. Usually when I have done that it (introduced wee-folk) it is to raise a complication/dilemma. Once a PC druid retired his character by declaring that his druid would take and raise the surviving 4 wee-gnolls in an attempt to extinguish their inherent evil taint.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The laugh is for this comment, otherwise I'd have given you an XP.
You seriously give 1XP for orclings, so you're incentivising them to become baby-slayers in your game? Very King Herod/Joffrey of you :lol:

I suppose it is like those video-games that incentivise bad behaviour. Usually when I have done that it (introduced wee-folk) it is to raise a complication/dilemma. Once a PC druid retired his character by declaring that his druid would take and raise the surviving 4 wee-gnolls in an attempt to extinguish their inherent evil taint.

I was kind of joking there. though if you were taking it out to the logical extreme killing orclings before they can become full sized evil pig nosed brutes you are really just making your job easier on yourself so it should be full XP.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Let's see.

@Doug McCrae makes reasoned arguments, citing the source material. And notes that he is saying, per the OP, that this is about-

"Do orcs in gaming display parallels to colonialist propaganda? So I see people online claiming that orcs (or drow or any other savage humanoid race) often unconsciously represent cruel stereotypes of people of color and promote a colonialist narrative."

You know ... parallels .... unconscious representations. Not that every D&D player and DM ever is a racist.

Meanwhile, other people are all like -Nah. That's a bunch of academic gibberish. Working class people in Boston when I was growing up were never racist.*

Or variants of, BUT WHAT ABOUT VIKINGS!**

Good talk. :)

*I'm guessing it wasn't Roxbury. Not to put too fine a point on it, but from Charles Stuart to Adam Jones, it's not common to use the Hub as the go-to example for color-blind bona fides.

**Yeah, I am simplifying and parodying positions here, but ... well, look at the last few posts. It's hard to move forward if you can't even acknowledge the past.

You also have to understand where these people are coming from, such as where Holocaust denial is fine as "Free Speech," and their leader posts threads about supporting neo-nazis as they assault women, gays, etc., plus Rosa Parks is evil; and if you dissent, you are banned. Just saying. We're giving them a much better chance, or forum for their views then they would ever give us.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Well ... I wouldn't go that far.

I can't speak for everyone in this thread (and there were a few dubious posts earlier), but I think some people struggle with some of these ideas. Mostly ... well, mostly old white guys.

And I can somewhat sympathize with that, being an older white guy. It's hard to come to terms with things you took for granted for a long time. I mean, I want to think that I've done well in life because I'm awesome and smart and amazing and good looking and people like me.

THEY REALLY REALLY LIKE ME! :)

But it's also true that I've had a lot of things break my way, because of ... well, you know ...

And it's not just that. I mean, I like the things that I like! I don't want to think that some of those things might be ... well, maybe not wholesome? Not perfect in every way? Thinking about that makes me uncomfortable, and I don't like to feel uncomfortable.

Also? I'm used to having my opinion and voice heard. And so I don't understand when my opinion of how other people feel isn't valued. I wish I was totally joking here ... but I'm not.

Things change. I'm trying to change, too. I'm hoping that impulse includes more of our friends, here. :)

I was just stating my experience with some of them.

Sure, I hope people change. TBH, I don't expect people to be perfect, but if they double down on the dumbness, well ...

You are right, there is a situational awareness to it all.

You also have to understand where these people are coming from, such as where Holocaust denial is fine as "Free Speech," and their leader posts threads about supporting neo-nazis as they assault women, gays, etc., plus Rosa Parks is evil; and if you dissent, you are banned. Just saying. We're giving them a much better chance, or forum for their views then they would ever give us.

I am not interested in getting into cross forum drama but anyone who saw my posts as those topics came up would see, with the exception of things like free speech (which I believe in very strongly) I was opposed to each of those things. And very vocal about my opinion.

Sadras

Legend

So if people don't agree with everything, they will be equated to the vilest RL people of history. Seems fair, nothing wrong with that, carry on regardless. I wonder how many will take issue with this post. :erm:

Last edited:

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I am not interested in getting into cross forum drama but anyone who saw my posts as those topics came up would see, with the exception of things like free speech (which I believe in very strongly) I was opposed to each of those things. And very vocal about my opinion.

I'm not interested in the drama either, you survive because you are a mod there. Still it behooves the subject to merely state the truth of the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases