• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do the enhancment bonuses from a bow and from an arrow stack?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
drunkmoogle said:
It's possible to get all the compatable [no flaming icy, axiomatic anarchic, etc] DMG special properties...

Flaming and Frost are not incompatible. There's nothing wrong with having both on the same weapon.

Axiomatic and Anarchic are incompatible, because an Axiomatic weapon is lawfully-aligned, and an Anarchic weapon is chaotically-aligned, and you can't be Lawful Chaotic Neutral :)

-Hyp.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Hypersmurf said:
Flaming and Frost are not incompatible. There's nothing wrong with having both on the same weapon.

As we just saw in Dungeon #111's "Lords of Oblivion" adventure.

Likewise, it's still impossible for non-epic magic weapons to have a total effective enhancement bonus of greater than +10. I'd assume that means that, if you load up your bow and arrows both with lots of magic properties, some of those won't be conferred on the arrow, since they'd make it go over +10.

Last edited:

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
drunkmoogle said:
That is the case. A +1 Holy Flaming Burst longbow fires +5 arrows as a +5 Holy Flaming Burst arrows. Since you cannot have the same quality twice on a weapon [see footnote under weapon special ability tables], you cannot have a flaming flaming weapon.

Ruleswise, I have no idea what to do with a Flaming Flaming Burst weapon. Regardless, remember that it is a standard action to activate each elemental damage ability, so it may take a while to get your +1 Longbow of Flaming Flaming Burst Shock Shocking Burst up and ready.

...That sounded like a bad sound clip from the old Batman series...
If I recall correctly (I'm at work) the Flaming Burst property already includes the regular Flaming property. It just adds a 1d10 to critical damage.

Also, a single action can activate all the properties on a weapon at the same time.

Eye Tyrant

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Not really.

When your Bow is +1 Flaming Shocking Frost Holy, and every arrow you fire automatically receives a +4 enhancement bonus, you're only losing out on one plus.

Every arrow will hit as a +4 Flaming Shocking Frost Holy arrow...

-Hyp.

Huh? Is this part of the Arcane Archer? I've never heard that a ranged weapon confers its enhancements over to the ammunition in this way... :confused:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Eye Tyrant said:
Huh? Is this part of the Arcane Archer? I've never heard that a ranged weapon confers its enhancements over to the ammunition in this way... :confused:

Flaming: Upon command, a flaming weapon is sheathed in fire. The fire does not harm the wielder. The effect remains until another command is given. A flaming weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage on a successful hit. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the fire energy upon their ammunition.

Frost: Upon command, a frost weapon is sheathed in icy cold. The cold does not harm the wielder. The effect remains until another command is given. A frost weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of cold damage on a successful hit. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the cold energy upon their ammunition.

Holy: A holy weapon is imbued with holy power. This power makes the weapon good-aligned and thus bypasses the corresponding damage reduction. It deals an extra 2d6 points of damage against all of evil alignment. It bestows one negative level on any evil creature attempting to wield it. The negative level remains as long as the weapon is in hand and disappears when the weapon is no longer wielded. This negative level never results in actual level loss, but it cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the weapon is wielded. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the holy power upon their ammunition.

... etc, etc.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf said:
Axiomatic and Anarchic are incompatible, because an Axiomatic weapon is lawfully-aligned, and an Anarchic weapon is chaotically-aligned, and you can't be Lawful Chaotic Neutral :)

Actually, Hypersmurf there is nothing that prevents the combination of a Chaotic/Lawful (I hate the Axiomatic/Anarchic terms, just a way to confuse poor half-orc barabarians. "Hey! Krusk wadda you want the Axiomatic Great-Axe or the Anarchic Greatsword?" Krusk- UHHHH, which one of those makes Krusk wimpy again?" Anyway nothing game-rules way prevents a Holy/Unholy weapon.

I Know because I recently made a Druidic relic for my campaign world that was created to mark the Druid Wars where the various druid alignments (N, LN, CN, NG, NE) had fought amongst themselves for several years & afterwards created a powerful weapon whose purpose was to keep druids purpose into perspective. Basically I wanted an item only true N characters could wield. I ended up just making a Holy/Unholy/Chaotic/Lawful Scythe. Thus any Lawful, Good, Evil, or Chaotic person who wielded the weapon would gain at least 1 negative level. I made it an artifact to avoid game-creation mechanics, but it is possible.

Bascially a low-level Evil person with the Craft Magic Arms & Armor feat makes a +1 Unholy Mace. Many years later, this same person has changed his alignment to good may then enchant his mace with the holy property (though he gains 1 negative level then entire time he is enchanting his mace). Why he would do this is another matter altogether.

Thus, stricly by the game rules, holy/unholy items can exist. From a game -workd stand-point they would be extremly rare, almso non-existant. Still I think it might be fun to let the party find a sentient lawful, chaotic weapon.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Vraille Darkfang said:
Actually, Hypersmurf there is nothing that prevents the combination of a Chaotic/Lawful.

Yes, there is.

"An Axiomatic weapon is lawfully aligned."
"An Anarchic weapon is chaotically aligned."

A weapon with at least one of those four properties has an alignment. In the absence of any other factors, a +1 Axiomatic scimitar is Lawful Neutral.

A +1 Anarchic flail is Chaotic Neutral.

A +1 Axiomatic, Anarchic rapier is not True Neutral; it is lawfully aligned, and it is chaotically aligned. It is therefore Lawful Chaotic Neutral... and that's not a valid alignment. Therefore the combination is not possible.

If you remove the "... is lawfully aligned..." clause from Axiomatic, and likewise from the other three, then your Scythe is possible. But without that, it is not.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf said:
Yes, there is.

Is there as specific rule against chaotic/lawful (aside from common sense)? I admit, I wouldn't allow it in general, but what if a LG cleric is Polymorphed into a CE Demon. Doesn't he then become a LGCE for game effects? Does one alignment trump the other? Is he really LG, just has the drawbacks/advantages of the chaotic & evil subtypes? I'm actually confused. Your're right about the Lawfully aligned bit, but what about those wierd exceptions? Is it possible to be Lawfully/Chaoticly aligned (even if only breifly)? One of those 1 in a million things PC's have an natural attaction towards.

As for my scythe, it is possible.

1. My campainn: I can tweak the rules how I want (but your're probably right in the how Real rules thing works).

2. I made it a Greater Artifact of my campaign world. These tend to frequently break the game rules as is (one of the reasons PC's can't make them). A greater artifact has few guidlines, thus a Lawful, Chaotic, Holy, Unholy item IS perfectly legal, but only in the guise of a Greater Artifact.

So, I gues my low-level cleric with multiple personality disorder will never have his sentient Lawful/Chaotic Mace of Hernia Creation. :)

Thanks,
Vraille Darkfang

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Vraille Darkfang said:
Is there as specific rule against chaotic/lawful (aside from common sense)? I admit, I wouldn't allow it in general, but what if a LG cleric is Polymorphed into a CE Demon. Doesn't he then become a LGCE for game effects? Does one alignment trump the other? Is he really LG, just has the drawbacks/advantages of the chaotic & evil subtypes?

His alignment is Lawful Good, and he has the [Chaotic] and [Evil] subtypes.

Evil Subtype: A subtype usually applied only to outsiders native to the evil-aligned Outer Planes. Evil outsiders are also called fiends. Most creatures that have this subtype also have evil alignments; however, if their alignments change, they still retain the subtype. Any effect that depends on alignment affects a creature with this subtype as if the creature has an evil alignment, no matter what its alignment actually is. The creature also suffers effects according to its actual alignment. A creature with the evil subtype overcomes damage reduction as if its natural weapons and any weapons it wields were evil-aligned.

His alignment isn't Lawful Good Chaotic Evil. That's not possible. His alignment is Lawful Good, and he is affected by things that affect Lawful creatures, and Good creatures, and Chaotic creatures, and Evil creatures.

If he picks up an item that inflicts a negative level on Good creatures and gives a +6 enhancement bonus to Wisdom to Evil creatures, he'd incur both effects.

-Hyp.

Remove ads