Do weapon proficiencies apply to all sizes of weapons?

Averil Wehstrom

First Post
Dundragon said:
I don't think that an oversized short sword would do you any good. You would be trying to use it as a longsword, which is something a short sword is not designed to do...otherwise it would be a longsword. And it would be too long to be successfully used a short sword. :rolleyes:

Yes, but I think his whole point is that both Medium-size and Small rogues gain proficiency in the shortsword, but not the longsword. However, the shortsword has an equal size-to-wielder ratio for the Small rogue as a longsword does to a Medium-size rogue.

In other words, the halfling rogue has to use the shortsword like a human would a longsword, so why aren't human rogues proficient with longswords?

RedShirtNo5

First Post
Averil Wehstrom said:
In other words, the halfling rogue has to use the shortsword like a human would a longsword, so why aren't human rogues proficient with longswords?

I think Celestial Weasel's answer is good. Halflings get weapon proficiencies of comparatively larger weapons because they live in a bigger persons world.

I would probably permit someone who had magically increased in size to be proficient with the equivalently sized weapons.

-RedShirt

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Yes, but I think his whole point is that both Medium-size and Small rogues gain proficiency in the shortsword, but not the longsword. However, the shortsword has an equal size-to-wielder ratio for the Small rogue as a longsword does to a Medium-size rogue.

You have a valid point and therefore should definitely take the shortsword profficiency away from the halfling rogues in your campaign. :D

SpikeyFreak

First Post
It gets even worse when you think about large sized druids. Are they stuck with using the scimitar, or can they use a falchion? I mean it's really just a large scimitar.

--Refueling Spikey

Bastoche

First Post
Averil Wehstrom said:

IMO this is a false asumption. In face of realism, this doesn't hold. Maybe a Halfling fighting a size S creature would use a short sword like a human would use a long sword, but against a size M and up, you still has to use it as a short sword. Short swords are too short to be used as a slashing weapon. It's rather an "unthrowable giant dagger". Not a small long sword. :D

jontherev

First Post
huh?

Bastoche said:

IMO this is a false asumption. In face of realism, this doesn't hold. Maybe a Halfling fighting a size S creature would use a short sword like a human would use a long sword, but against a size M and up, you still has to use it as a short sword. Short swords are too short to be used as a slashing weapon. It's rather an "unthrowable giant dagger". Not a small long sword. :D

Short swords ARE slashing weapons. The size of your foe doesn't change that, either in-game or in reality.

Anybody let rogues use kukris, since they are supposed to be proficient with ALL types of daggers?

dcollins

Explorer
Tiefling said:
For instance, rogues aren't proficient with longswords, but could they use Medium-Size shortswords, which are essentially the same?

Under the core rules, they are NOT essentially the same. There's a lot of misunderstanding about arbitrary scaling of weapon sizes -- the only mention of differently-scaled weapons is in the DMG as an alternate rule, and only intended for monstrous NPCs, not ever PCs.

A primary example of this is (if you look at) all sample class "starting packages" in PH Chapter 3. The small races don't get cut-down versions of the standard weapons; they are forced to take entirely different weapons in most cases (primary example: Medium druids take "scimitars", while Small druids are forced to take "sickles" [and not "small scimitars"]).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The situation is not nearly so simple as beign able to use height to weapon length to decide who uses what weapon....

Yes, the halfling is shorter, but that doesn't mean that he necessarily "uses a shortsword like a longsword". How a body best uses a weapon is complicated. Reach and ability to grip the weapon matter, but so does muscle power. Being half the height does not mean that every tool you use needs to be half as long.

While that halfling is much smaller than human, on average his strength bonus is only one point less. Despite his size (something like half the height, and one quarter the weight), he hits nearly as hard as a human. That should count for something.

The D&D weapon size rules are a reasonable compromize between realism, ease of use, and game balance. It is not based upon one single arbitrary measure like weapon length relative to character height. Don't start trying to get bennies for your humans just because the small folks catch a break every now and then. :)

Remove ads