D&D 5E Do you ACTUALLY use 3rd Party Books?

In the last 2 years, has your group used 3rd Party content in your game?

• Yes, we've used player content AND monsters

Votes: 152 64.4%
  • Yes, but only monsters

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • No, but I'd allow player content AND monsters

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, but I'd allow monsters

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • No, I don't allow 3PP

Votes: 20 8.5%

• Poll closed .

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Impressive.

I have been running sequential campaigns in continuity with each other in a mashup setting that includes Ptolus ever since the Banewarrens in 3.0, but there have been long periods where I was a player and not DMing so it is not continuous.
The spine of the campaign is a play-by-post game, so it's slower than one might assume, although I don't think there's been more than two or three weeks where there was zero activity in either the main game or spin-off games run by me or other DMs. The campaign has also included spin-off games played via Discord and in person.

(NPCs from one adventure will often show up in different sub-campaigns, sometimes years later, and all of the events are in a single timeline and they all "count.")

Last edited:

fjw70

Adventurer
I have never used any 3PP player contention my games. I would use adventures and monsters but I typically just convert older edition stuff.

Greg K

Legend
I have not run 5e, but my future plan was to use plenty of third party material from Drivethrurpg, DMsGuild, r/Unearthed Arcana, GM Binder, and some websites. As for non-core books by WOTC, I only planned to use some new feats and Fighter material (no new sub-classes) from Tasha's. This actually follows a similar pattern for 3e in which I used little official supplemental material and relied heavily on 3pp supplements.

SAVeira

Adventurer
I have been using 3PP content to fill in the holes in official material. For example, my campaign has a good deal of steampunk influence so using material from 3PP about firearm rules and various "tech" gear.

Weiley31

Legend
Well, let me put it this way:
You know default 5E's Weapon Table? Well, I pretty much added the Weapon Table from Iron Kingdom: Requiem 5E +Adventures in Rokugan+Adventures in Middle-Earth 5E (some, not all, like the Broadswords and Mattocks) to that list in my 5E games.

Animal Adventures and Humblewood have taken care of Animal character PCs for me.

I've jacked all the backgrounds from Adventures in Middle-Earth 5E and made them selectable Background choices for regular 5E games as well.

And now, with the help of Inferno: Dante's Guide to Hell+Grim Hollow's Transformation subsystem, I can pretty much have "playable demon" characters/classes for such characters in a possible evil campaign. Add in MCDM's Illrigger and I'm all set there.

So ya, 3PP is most certainly used on my end.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I use monsters, I use additional rules like Strongholds and Followers.

BTW, if this is about the OGL, it's missing the whole category of OGL games. For example, while I love 5e and it's my favorite edition of D&D (started playing Moldvoy Red Box Basic back in the 80s so I've played them all but Chainmail), my favorite D&D-like game is an OGL game called 13th Age. Written by a lead designer of 3ed and the lead designed of 4e, it's a streamlined d20 game they self-described as "a loveletter to D&D". Effectively, it's a Fantasy Heartbreaker done by big designers when they were free of the sacred cows of D&D - what they "wanted to play in their Wednesday night game".

Clint_L

Hero
I use anything I can get my hands on. If you leave it lying within reach, I might work it into the game. I use 3PP. I use other RPGs. I use miniatures and terrain from everywhere under the sun (aquarium stuff works great for undersea encounters!). I use toys. I use board games and card games. I use props. I've never yet used a small animal, but I can see the potential.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
As a rule, I don't allow 3PP in my games, no. But I own a ton of OGL material that I use as reference and consider it extremely valuable.

Remove ads