D&D 5E Do you ACTUALLY use 3rd Party Books?

In the last 2 years, has your group used 3rd Party content in your game?

• Yes, we've used player content AND monsters

Votes: 152 64.4%
  • Yes, but only monsters

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • No, but I'd allow player content AND monsters

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, but I'd allow monsters

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • No, I don't allow 3PP

Votes: 20 8.5%

• Poll closed .

TheSword

Legend
Lots and lots of adventures. If those adventures have thematic player options or monsters, sure I’ll use them. I’d very rarely use them for player options otherwise.

Jolly Ruby

Privateer
From books, I've used a lot of adventures and monsters, and I often use magic items. But what I use more often in my "day-to-day" as a DM are small things like encounters, puzzles, traps, NPCs, small lair or room maps and things that I unplug from the original context, or get from the patreons I subscribe to.
Also, 3pp monsters are a good idea to challenge experienced players with something they don't know yet.

Shiroiken

Legend
I might use 3PP for DM facing things (monsters and magic items), but I don't allow player facing items. The other DM is running Midgard, so obviously he allows stuff from that.

guachi

Hero
More and more for 5e as time goes on. And also many non-5e compatible games. I haven't been impressed with WotC products for at least 4 years now so I've branched out to support a number of Kickstarter campaigns and other stuff. It's probably $1000 worth and Hasbro gets none of it.

Voadam

Legend
Tonight's game I used a Tveirherjar from Creature Codex (reskinned into an Orc warlord with a magic chainsaw), two Red Fangs of Shargaas from Volo's, a Black Sun Orc from Creature Codex, and three Orcs from the MM. The module is a pathfinder one (Lords of Rust) converted to 5e.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I use a lot of third-party stuff for 5E. Tonight alone: My homebrew campaign setting is a mashup of the "Seas of Vodari" campaign setting by Tribality Games (maps, setting, rules, subclasses, feats, and spells) and elements from Mystara: Red Steel (maps, lore, magic items), and I use several map packs, monster books, token libraries, and NPCs from the Roll20 Marketplace.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Yeah, I've allowed plenty of player facing options over the years (albeit, only after careful consideration and sometimes a balance rewrite).

I also use plenty of DM facing options. For my current campaign, I've been using A5E's Monstrous Menagerie instead of the Monster Manual, because I consider it to be an entirely superior product.

Larnievc

Hero
Have you actually used 3rd Party products at your game table in your last campaign or two?
(Books and PDFs, not personal homebrew.)

I've bought lots of 3PP content but none of it has been used apart from monsters...

-edit-

I excluded campaign setting and adventures as those can be pretty system agnostic.
I use anything I can get my hands on. Monster books, world books, character classes, spells, items etc.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases