Do you allow evil chars?

Do you allow evil characters in your games?

• Yes

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 32 61.5%

Psion

Adventurer
Re: Yes

I only allow evil characters if the player can convince me that the character concept is sound, and has motivations that will fit with the campaigns. If I even have the slightest inkling that the player is out to be evil just to be a backstabbin little pus-weasel, then no.

Incidentally, I put CN characters under similar scrutiny. I require that all CN characters have meaninful motivations or buttons to push. I am sick and tired of characters who have to have their arms twisted to participate in an adventure. One time it got to the point that I told the player "fine. Your character doesn't want to get involved. As such, he wanders off on his own. Please roll up another character that DOES give a damn about something... anything!"

maddman75

First Post
I'm hesitant to dictate how my characters play. After all, there is nothing stopping them from writing 'neutral good' on the character sheet and playing chaotic evil.

However, I do warn them that my style of game is best suited to heroes. Evil characters are going to be out of place and not have much fun.

Tsyr

Explorer
Need more options.

I don't allow them exactly, but neither do I forbid them outright.

If a player wants to play an evil character, we have to talk about it. If I'm convinced that the player will A) Roleplay it well B) Won't become a hassle to the group C) Won't do anything too horrible (no torturing gnome babies, no raping children, what not) D) has valid reason (Not just so he can get away with anything) and E) has good background for the character, then yes, he can play it.

But I don't just hand them out, not like neutral and good characters, no.

abri

Mad Scientist
Who said an evil character has to be a psychopath AND a sociopath?
I find it very interesting when a player play "twisted" heroes: people that are evil but acting heroic. Played a whole campaign with such a group: basically they acted as heroes but had darker hidden agenda. They just made sure nobody found out.
Also can be interesting to play an evil character that has been coerced into doing heroic acts (somewhat like the rogue in the DnD comic[yes, I know he is CG, but people think he is CE]).
And last Arkham the dark knight in Lodoss war is a perfect example of heroic LE character (especially in the last 10 tapes).

Tsyr

Explorer
You mean Ashram?

Ashram is probably the coolest character in that series.

Despite being the so-called "Black Knight" though, I'm not totaly sure I would say he is evil.

abri

Mad Scientist
Yes I mean Ashram.
The guy has no compulsion about butchering people!
Yes he has a LOT of redeeming qualities (especially trying to get a better life for his subject, as can be confirmed in legend of Crystana), but he is the textbook example of "The end justify the means", ie: LE.

Remove ads