Planescape Do You Care About Planescape Lore?

Do You Care about Planescape Lore?

Stormonu

Legend
I "care" in the sense that I don't want WotC changing the lore of TSR settings. ("I'll take 'mixed track record' for $500, Bob.")

I loved Torment, but never was interested in running a campaign in planescape. I agree that ramming planescape into every single setting was an obnoxious design choice.

+1. I care in that I've read a good bit of the material and it's familiar lore to me. But I'm not married to it and I see it as one interpretation of how the outer planes could be.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
See any thread about planar monsters. The complaints are about ideas not being Planescape-compliant not PHB1 appendix-compliant.
Which one(s) do you mean? Githzerai were CN before Planescape. Slaadi were chaotic outsiders before Planescape. Daemons were neutral evil mercenaries before Planescape.

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
Then I guess you don't like the D&D multiverse, because Planescape is just a crystallisation/solidifying of the AD&D cosmos.

The Disney (convenient) cosmos is not for people such as me.

Seems a lot of people do not like D&D (want to stuff it into a hole it was not meant for).
The OP is very passive-aggressive, extremely flammable.

So many other RPGs at this point, sick of people trying to turn Monopoly into Trivial Pursuit, or Boggle into Chutes & Ladders or what-have-you.

Li Shenron

Legend
Yes we care.

That doesn't means I want it to dictate every monster in the core MM, but rather that I want PS setting to be preserved on its own, which would be done best by not changing it just for the sake of change, like FR gets butchered at every edition. I would rather see PS not republished for 5e if that means they are going to change it just for the sake of it.

BTW, the Great Wheel isn't really default in any edition. The 3e MotP says it at least 100 times that it is just an example and the DM in no way has to abide to it etc etc, but apparently this is not enough to prevent both gamers and designers to still think it's default. In any case, even if it was default, a "default cosmology" really means nothing since it ignoring/changing it has practically zero implications (the only possible exceptions are in spell fluff but not in their mechanics).

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
The Faction War garbage was, well, garbage.

As was The Time of Trouble, Prism Pentad, The Grand Conjunction, The Age of Mortals, Inhuman wars II, and so forth.

The best route to go is stick with the original vision of a campaign setting (the first boxed set/book) before busybody writers try and mar it with their revolting meta-plots.

Kudos to Al-Qadim for staying pure.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
The Faction War garbage was, well, garbage.

A was The Time of Trouble, Prism Pentad, The Grand Conjunction, The Age of Mortals, Inhuman wars II, and so forth.

The best route to go is stick with the original vision of a campaign setting (the first boxed set/book) before busybody writers try and mar it with their revolting meta-plots.

Haha, three cheers for Al-Qadim!

Btw [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION], I voted "Yes" on your poll.

Li Shenron

Legend

Indeed, the first version of a setting is the best.

Because if it succeeded (e.g. Forgotten Realms), the setting doesn't need to change. If it changes, it only splits the fanbase. And if it didn't succeed, nobody's interested in making a new version anyway.

If they want something new to keep the market excited, there is infinite room for new settings. Existing settings should never be changed, only converted, or expanded by "zooming" i.e. adding more and more details on regions, locales, characters...

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
Indeed, the first version of a setting is the best.

Because if it succeeded (e.g. Forgotten Realms), the setting doesn't need to change. If it changes, it only splits the fanbase. And if it didn't succeed, nobody's interested in making a new version anyway.

If they want something new to keep the market excited, there is infinite room for new settings. Existing settings should never be changed, only converted, or expanded by "zooming" i.e. adding more and more details on regions, locales, characters...

Exactly, stop meddling, expand/elaborate, don't change, leave that up to us.

In my Forgotten Realms campaign of 26-years, Elminster is dead, and Drizzt works the streets of Calimport as rough trade.

Remove ads