• I don't play either at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Player only because people are mean when I DM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 15 8.1%

Nagol

Unimportant
In a way, that is me, since I started DMing on my first game. However, I have always had to also play a player, just so we had enough characters and didn't die miserably.

I could have voted for that in the first 3 years of gaming; that's how long it took for anyone in my circles to try to run a game I could play in. Thankfully, the next 37 years did afford some chance to play.

Thinking about it now, though, I haven't been a player in the last 6 years either. Sigh.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I primarily DM, with little breaks here and there where someone else runs something for a bit.

I’m currently running my group’s long standing 5E campaign. Once that’s done, then I plan on taking a long break and just play for a while. In preparation for that, I’ve started sharing games with my players that I think each would be suited to run, and that I’d like to try.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I usually end up running 4+ year campaigns, then taking a year off. Lather. rinse, repeat.

Over the years, I've been member of other groups as a player. So sometimes it's just the group I DM, sometimes it's as both player and DM, and right now I'm in the two a hiatus - sort of - so it's two groups as player. But I am running a group for my daughters and niece and nephew, and have another one for just my kids (they want to play more often) in the wings.

Other: Player mostly, but I'll dm if that's what it takes to get the game started.

I don't think I'm a bad dm, but I prefer to play myself. The satisfaction of crafting a good game isn't as appealing as a well-played game and well-told story wrapped together.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I wonder if there's anyone out there who could honestly vote for one option I notice to be missing:

DM only, never played.

(I couldn't vote for this either!)

I have to admit, being a player makes me a better DM, and being a DM makes me a better player. I understand the situation where someone has never had a chance to play, and I wish that they have the opportunity to.

Harzel

Adventurer
None of my players shows even the slightest teensy-weensy inclination to DM. (Well, ok, to be fair one of them was the DM from about 1977 to 1979, but at this remove, that hardly seems to count.) I'd like to play, not the least because I think it would make me a better DM, but I'd have to track down a different group of people to play with.

Remove ads