Do you let Eldritch Knight or Clerics cast while using a (real) shield?

Do you let spellcasters cast with weapon & shield in hand?

• Yes

Votes: 42 57.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Let me explain...

Votes: 14 19.2%

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Per Sage Advice official rules clarification, if you don't have the War Caster Feat, you have to "put away" your weapon or shield in order to cast a spell with a Somatic or Material component. Per clarification on what it means to prop or put away an item, Sage Advice clarified you can hold an item in another hand to free up a casting hand (e.g. hold a quarterstaff with one hand).

So, like others have said, I think it'd be fair and consistent to allow the Knight to briefly prop his mace and shield into one hand while he casts the spell. In my games, I rule he loses the benefit of the mace and shield until his next turn because it's pretty hard to use either while propping. If you want to use one and still cast, you'll need to drop it (free action, then an action to retrieve an item). This gives the War Caster Feat actual meaning. Otherwise, it would create an illogical result (why make a feat if everyone already gets the benefit of being able to cast with full hands and no penalty?)

Finally, this differs from the Cleric, which specifically is allowed to have the shield function as a holy symbol for the spell material component. However, if there's still a Somatic component requiring hands, the rules apply as regular.

Draegn

Explorer
In my game divine casters use points and a ritualistic prayer to "cast". As long as they can perform the appropriate gestures the prayer will be made properly.

Arcane caster use "slots". Each caster chooses a mnemonic focus to cast. As long as they can use their chosen focus casting will work. One of my players speaks "words of power" two of the others use finger motions similar to what is shown in the television show The Magicians.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The restrictions on spellcasting are an important part of power balance, so I strictly enforce them. If a spell has a somatic component, and the caster doesn't have a free hand, the spell won't be cast. This is non-negotiable at my table.

smbakeresq

Explorer
War Caster does a lot more than just let you cast with sword and shield. So, no, nobody is giving anybody "exclusive access to feats."

Ok, if you want to cut it like that you are giving them exclusive access to at least 1/3 of the feat. If it works for you and your group...

Dausuul

Legend
Ok, if you want to cut it like that you are giving them exclusive access to at least 1/3 of the feat. If it works for you and your group...
Casting with sword and shield is not one-third the value of the feat. Not even close. Most of the time, you can duplicate the sword-and-shield effect just by using the "drop your sword, cast, pick it up" silliness described earlier in the thread.

My last PC had War Caster. I never once used the sword-and-shield thing. If that feature were removed, I would still have taken the feat without hesitation.

smbakeresq

Explorer
The restrictions on spellcasting are an important part of power balance, so I strictly enforce them. If a spell has a somatic component, and the caster doesn't have a free hand, the spell won't be cast. This is non-negotiable at my table.

This is true, but people don't want balance, they want to just do whatever they want without restriction. I have been personally insulted on these boards for suggesting using variant encumbrance, which just so happens balances out the STR dump builds, in particular the medium armor and shield carrying hexblade dips by slowing them down. I also use it because without using it powerful build trait, dwarf armor trait, mithral as a material, boots of striding, bags of holding, Hewards haversack, portable holes, converting coins into more portable gems, etc are all devalued, but mainly the complaints are the STR dump builds.

I just figure once you start handwaving things that are meant as balancing factors when does it stop?

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
Shields can be a focus (Holy Symbol) if the symbol of the Cleric's/Paladin's god is on it...

My DM allowed me to make a new shield (out of an Ankheg Shell) and did not remind me to get it "painted"...I went into battle without it painted and he asked how I could cast a spell....had to fight without a shield until we went back to town...

smbakeresq

Explorer
Casting with sword and shield is not one-third the value of the feat. Not even close. Most of the time, you can duplicate the sword-and-shield effect just by using the "drop your sword, cast, pick it up" silliness described earlier in the thread.

My last PC had War Caster. I never once used the sword-and-shield thing. If that feature were removed, I would still have taken the feat without hesitation.

And that discussion wasn't entirely correct. Watch here https://youtu.be/nk1Up4hXUko

From Treantmonk:

"
[COLOR=var(--yt-spec-text-primary)]Here's the cheat sheet:
Spell Components:
V: Can be cast with hands full
V, S or S: If hands full can only be cast with the Warcaster feat
V, M* or V,S,M* or S,M* or M*: Can only be cast if holding a spell focus
Any spell with M**: Cannot be cast with hands full

*If the material component is for a spell from the class the focus is for and is not consumed nor has a gp value.
**A material component is consumed and/or has a GP value

To answer some things that have come up in the comment section:
1) Yes, you must have a free hand to use an amulet spell focus (or any spell focus) as per PHB
2) Sage advice has clarified that a spell focus cannot replace a consumed component, whether it has value or not
3) There are no rules for unequipping a shield in less than a round. If your DM allows you to drop it for free, just be aware that is not covered in the rules. By the rules, a shield takes an action to unequip.
4) Yes, Subtle Spell can also allow you to bypass the somatic component of the spell, but not the material component'
[/COLOR]​

smbakeresq

Explorer
Shields can be a focus (Holy Symbol) if the symbol of the Cleric's/Paladin's god is on it...

My DM allowed me to make a new shield (out of an Ankheg Shell) and did not remind me to get it "painted"...I went into battle without it painted and he asked how I could cast a spell....had to fight without a shield until we went back to town...

BTW that's a good DM. You wont forget things like that again and clearly you can make your own stuff.

Remove ads