• Yes.

Votes: 147 55.7%
  • No.

Votes: 109 41.3%
  • I just want to see the results.

Votes: 8 3.0%

A'koss

Explorer
I mark them up with errata in pencil, leave post-it note tabs, stuff them sheets of homebrew rules, etc. Rulebooks are to be used, I don't look at them from the POV of reselling them down the line. After a few years, they end up in such ratty condition anyway I figure... what's the point? :\

domino

First Post
I and all my friends write in our books, mostly because we all have the same books, so we can make sure we all got our own books.

The Shaman

First Post
Romnipotent said:
Annotations make it personal
Very well said.

I write in books all the time - highlights, underlines, notes in margins. It's great fun to go back and re-read what I wrote years before, see what I was thinking about a particular passage, a writer's conclusion - it also helps me to pick out important information from technical texts, which I tend to cross-reference with other books ("for contrasting view see also blah blah blah...").

Art books and rare books are off-limits - everything else on my shelf is pretty much fair game.

twofalls

DM Beadle
pogre said:
I mark mine with notes - at least the ones I use and do not intend to resell. My corebooks are all tabbed and heavily marked. I usually do not write my name in other books unless I know others at a table are going to have the same book. Not anti-theft, just identification purposes.
What do you use to tab your books and what type of info do you usually mark an how? I'm curious because I've thought about doing this in the past but haven't really investigaged it. The most I've done is to write down page's in the front cover of info that I thought might be useful, and I don't ever sell a book or get rid of an RPG aid.

Edit: In addition to this, is errata still avalible for the 3.0 books? If so where?

AIM-54

First Post
I hate writing in books as a general rule, but I always put my name in those books I have that tend to get mixed up/passed around with others. No one in my group is likely to steal my books (as they already have the books I have). Indeed, my PHB, which was a birthday present from my group was signed by everyone in the format of a high school yearbook. :)

As for my SR stuff, I've only put my name in my SR3, most everything else is new and has had very little opportunity to become misplaced. My SR3 is also so decrepit that I doubt anyone would want it anyway. :lol:

A'koss

Explorer
twofalls said:
What do you use to tab your books and what type of info do you usually mark an how? I'm curious because I've thought about doing this in the past but haven't really investigaged it
As far as tabbing rulebooks, you can get these sticky clear plastic tabs that just clamp onto the page. You then have a piece of paper you can write on which then inserts into the tab. I think you can also get more expensive ones that clamp on with pressure and don't actually adhere to your page. Another way is to buy entire tabbed pages which are make on heavier stock and just insert them loosely into your books. Post-its can work as well in a pinch...

Cheers!

I put my name in the inside cover (upper left), and write in pencil the errata. For purchased adventures (or in my dungeon magazines), I put some notes, and I use a "dry accent" highliter (a grease type highlighter, not ink) to highlite things I need to be able to spot quickly during the game.

Templetroll

Explorer
I've long put a mark in the front cover and next to the binding on an inside page. I use my initial from the Tolkien Elvish alphabet with some other things added so it is my 'Wizard's Mark". My daughter likes to put stickers in the books, which makes them much easier to recognize and less likely to be carried off by some other gamer. her PHB has Digimon contact paper on the cover so it is really unlikely to be picked up by someone else.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I put my name in pencil in all my books.
No so much for antitheft as just easy in picking up all my books as I leave the game. Like other posters, there are multiple copies the host has 6 copies of the PHB. 3 people, each has their own copy of 3.0 and 3.5

haiiro

First Post
When I saw the thread title, I thought you were asking if people wrote in their books -- you know, marked them up. ;)

I do actually put a little rune in most of my books, particularly the gaming books. I'm not worried about theft, but I do like to have a way of sorting mine out of the pile that tends to accumulate on the table during sessions. It's kind of nice at cons, too.

Remove ads