• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you own a set of "crystal" dice?

Do you own a set of crystal dice? Check all applicable......

• What the heck are you talking about?

Votes: 46 14.3%
  • Yes!

Votes: 35 10.9%
  • Yes, but I never use them 'cuz they suck!

Votes: 30 9.3%
  • Yes, I actually own MORE THAN ONE set! THEY RULE!

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • No!

Votes: 94 29.3%
  • No, and I don't want to! THEY SUCK!

Votes: 47 14.6%
  • No, but I'd like to!

Votes: 36 11.2%
  • Not a whole set, but I do have individual crystal dice.

Votes: 61 19.0%
  • Geez, those 'crystal' d20s really blow, huh?

Votes: 45 14.0%

berdoingg

First Post
But my man, they're the ugliest things I've ever seen. And noisy, hard to read and expensive.

Plus, there's a kind of perverse anti-logic to taking a 20 (or 6 or 10 or whatever) sided object, pertfectly suited for deciding between 20 outcomes and adding more sides to it. Redundant, non-landable-on sides. It's just wrong. Decadent. Dodecadent in some cases.

kirinke

First Post
BlueBlackRed said:
At first I thought the dice you were polling about were the old sharp-edged dice.

The ones you are talking about I couldn't care less for.

The sharp-edged dice I miss. A lot.
Anyone out there know if any companies still make those?

www.rpgshop.com
bought like three sets from them. they're nice, traditional shaped dice in a variety of colors and materials. they also have those weird shaped dice too. :)

KB9JMQ

First Post
I have the free magazine one and a couple of others but not a whole set.
I don't like them very well but only because they roll funny.
That bothers me for some reason.
The d4 is the least bothersome of them all though.

I have one d6 I got for free with an issue of Dragon (I think it was an issue in which you could collect the four-part giant Forgotten Realms map). My players ridicule me for owning such an ugly dice.

AR

davidschwartznz

First Post
The d6++ are ugly and hard to read, but I really like the d4. Much easier to read than the standard variety.

I would, however, prefer an elongated tetrahedron (AKA the wedge). IMHO a patent on the entirety of a regular polyhedron with numbers on it is indefensible (specific funny pictures is a different story entirely).

Tuzenbach

First Post
Davelozzi said:
That's an awful lot of options for a yes or no poll. How many ways do we need to express our dislike? As for me, I'v never really used them, and don't particularly care to, but they don't upset me.

Would you begrudge me a bit of market research?

Being a collector of dice (Any new character gets a fresh set), I bought a full set.
These dice just ended up annoying everyone for two major reasons:
- They were difficult to read and initially, it was difficult to just get a d8 or d10 without checking to make sure it was the right die (I think there was one miss-roll using a d10 instead of a d8).
- The d20 rolls too much and perhaps more to the point, is biased towards several numbers. This is evidenced by it rolling backwards and forwards before settling on a number. For my die, it was 2 on a d20. As you can imagine, I don't use it with such a low number having prevalence.

I'd recommend getting them if you like pretty/different dice but to game with, there are some major issues with the d20 - good if you can get one that likes rolling high, unlike my own. However, I'm not one for cheating so even then, I still wouldn't use it.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

RFisher

Explorer
I have to respect these d4s because similar things have been so often used historically.

The rest, however, are unnatural & I refuse to tolerate them. :) If I was the type to ban dice from my table, I'd ban them.

It's almost enough to make me like non-icosahedral d10s.

Krieg

First Post
RFisher said:
I have to respect these d4s because similar things have been so often used historically.

The rest, however, are unnatural & I refuse to tolerate them.

Barrell dice with more than four sides have been around just as long as their quad faceted brethren.

RFisher

Explorer
Krieg said:
Barrell dice with more than four sides have been around just as long as their quad faceted brethren.

I did not know that. Any chance you'd have some citations handy or could just point me in the right direction to learn more about such?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads