D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 248 54.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 210 45.9%

I'm updating for sure. Had this been asked around UA1 I would have said no. Seeing that it is a continuation of 5e and not a lot is changing, my answer is yes. Definitely want to see the new layout and art and let my 2014 core books enjoy retirement on the bookshelf.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think that we should keep in mind: 1) A large percentage of people that post "No" now will probably change their minds when other people in their group bring stuff into their games, or otherwise see the product; AND 2) If it turns out to somehow be disruptive or not good, some of the people who say "Yes" might buy the product and then drop using it.

Or in other words, this Poll (Which I'm not dismissing! Don't take this the wrong way!) is only meaningful to discover intent - which I don't believe will wind up matching reality terribly closely.
Sure.

mellored

Legend
I basically see it as a Players Handbook 2. A bunch of new classes and a few new spells that just happen to have the same name as the old stuff.

Most of my players will use the new stuff because it's new. But the old stuff is still available, with a few balance house rules. Like adjusting the moon druid CR to start lower, but letting them use their spell attack bonus to help scale.

I'll even allow multiclass between Fighter (2014) and Ranger (2024).

Similarly, I will be using mostly new monsters, but won't hesitate to pull out an old one.

And I haven't looked at the DMG for years, so I won't get the new one.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I have no current intention as I find 5E to be fine as is for my style of running D&D. I have only been half paying attention to the UAs but I am pretty sure none of the changes are what I would want out of what I like for D&D. I can imagine eventually checking it out for ideas to borrow from for my own eventual houseruled from the ground up version.

Last edited:

Incenjucar

Legend
As much as I got my hopes up to come back to D&D with 5.5, I picked up the PF2E GM Core last week. I'm planning to finish up the design work inspired by that faded hope (and also port it to A5E, TOV, and PF2E), but unless a friend really needs me to save their group I'm moving on to PF2E and leaving contemporary D&D behind.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If I could magically control everyone I play with to make them understand and enjoy different systems, then no.

However, in real life at least one game I'm in (or my players when I start my next campaign) will want D&D, which is a game I enjoy, and 5eR ("Fiver") looks like to be an incremental improvement over 5e so it will be the version we'd pick up and play.

While I quite enjoy 5e, I'm a bit tired of it, and 5eR won't address what I find as a fundamental flaw - the number of encounters I run per day, especially at high levels, is much lower than the designer expectations that the balance between the classes is calibrated against. That's why I would have been happier with a different system (or D&D 6e), hence my vote above.

Incenjucar

Legend
I will say that, if I was going to play, I'd go for the newer rules, but that doesn't mean much when I don't have a 5.0 library to consider. I don't see a reason to expect the new rules to be less playable than the old ones.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I voted yes, but it might not depend on me. Currently, I'm not running 5e, but just playing. If this does not change in the near future, it will be mostly up to my current DM and - so far - we haven't talked about it. OTOH, I'm likely to run again 5e at some point and then I'll be very likely to use the revised rules if they are reasonably similar to what I've seen in the playtest packages.

Remove ads