• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 257 53.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 223 46.5%

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I'll play them if I'm playing with a table that's using them. I plan on buying the books and raiding them for loose content, but otherwise... it doesn't look like it's going to be better than what's already my least favorite version of the game.

Incenjucar

Legend
And this thread illustrates the dichotomy of the situation: based on the comments, I’d think the majority of people are NOT going to switch to 5.5. But then I look at the poll results and it’s the complete opposite.
I imagine more granular "Are you excited?" options would provide clarity. A lot of folk buy whatever ensures they can play rather than what they want.

the Jester

Legend
Well, some of them, but not all.

I will not be adopting free floating ASIs at first level; the shift from magic b/p/s damage to other damage types; the incoming abundance of force damage, temporary hit points, and teleportation; the shift from legendary actions to multiple reactions; guns as standard equipment; buffs to cantrips and other forms of spellcaster power creep; more healing power creep; and other changes that actively make the game worse (in my opinion).

I will almost certainly include the new weapon mastery rules. There are probably a bunch of other changes that I'll include, but it will be case by case, not wholesale.

IF the final version of the 2024 rules seems like a significant improvement and scales back the things I don't like, I might include most of it, but at this point I am about 90% certain that it will include fairly major elements that I will not use.

grimmgoose

Explorer
As of right now, no. I'm just not interested in paying WOTC for what seemingly seems to be errata. The biggest hooks to me are going to be spellcasting changes (no more spells that makes a DM's life difficult), an updated Monster Manual (ideally with monster design that hearkens back to 4E), and an actually-good DMG.

Everything that I like from the Unearthed Arcana, I've plugged into my current game.

I would've been significantly more interested in an honest-to-goodness 6E. Not looking forward to 5E, again, for 10 more years.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
I will ask both the tables I am running and the tables I'm playing in if they're alright with switching. I both like many of the changes, and would prefer to be on the most up to date official ruleset so as to mitigate any confusion.

ichabod

Legned
I doubt it. I'm working on alternate rules I might use, and I'm not in the mood to give WotC money these days. So if I even get the books, I'm going to have to wait until I can get them used.

Sure, probably. But not with much excitement, and probably not right away. And probably with no real plans to buy anything past the big 3.

Prior to 2022, our table of 6-8 players bought at least 2 copies of every book that WotC sold. A couple of us just collected the books. They're published slow enough that it's not a big deal. Since the OGL thing... none of us has bought any books. The quality feels like it has steadily declined since 2014, as well as the fact that as problems have come up WotC keeps publishing books that didn't do anything to address them. OGL was just the last straw.

And now looking at what is coming out of OneD&D playtest? It's very frustrating. Changes that could have been fixed in 2016 when people noticed they were silly and probably bad, and fixed with just a list of recommended fixes to small issues. Or they could've done it in Xanathar's or Tasha's, or at any other point in the last 10 years.

Not actual changes to address the foundational problems of spellcasting being stupid good, or the encounter system and rest system basically being non functional, or the shapechange and summoning spells, or how multiclassing is still just a terrible mechanic. The problems that are so big that a DM can't fix them by themselves.

It's like AD&D 2e. It's rewriting Ranger while keeping descending armor class.

So, I'm sure I'll pick them up, because they will be technically better. But my table is looking at other games, and has been doing both since last year. We just don't want to play a game with such big problems that they just don't won't ever address. Especially if they're going to produce adventures that feel like I have to put a ton of effort into them to make them work.

Remove ads