Dragonlance Do you plan to buy Dragonlance?

Do you plan to buy Dragonlance

• Yes

Votes: 73 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 70 39.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 29 16.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.4%

Crud, I'm thinking of Sovereign Stone. I stand corrected!

The campaign setting was published by WotC, only the supplements were "3rd party" but they were still licensed from WotC, and thus subject to WotC supervision/approvals.

Normally, yeah, but Dragonlance is technically not their IP. Even if Weis and Hickman are generally considered the main voices within Dragonlance, it was owned by TSR and is now owned by Wizards.

I think it pretty understandable for authors to be resistant to other people changing their work.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Crud, I'm thinking of Sovereign Stone. I stand corrected!

Normally, yeah, but Dragonlance is technically not their IP. Even if Weis and Hickman are generally considered the main voices within Dragonlance, it was owned by TSR and is now owned by Wizards.
Just because you're resistant doesn't mean you have any legal ability to stop them.

Ystraeth

Villager
While I have nostalgia for earlier settings, Dragonlance included, I'm not at all keen on adventures-as-settings. So, no, on form factor alone.

If there was a comprehensive setting book (print) then absolutely I would. Adventure books (like Candlekeep etc) do not interest me, and I feel burned by the Spelljammer form factor too....so, Planescape is a nope for me now, too.

Gimme Eberron or Ravenloft style books and I'm usually a must-buy, even if its just to read.

Last edited:

Yeah, though what exactly went down behind the scenes and what discussions were had before Wizards and the authors agreed to move forward is still an unknown. One thing that seemed very telling was at the last Wizards Direct, they announced a full line of reprints of R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt novels, but not a word about Dragons of Deceit.

Ultimately, I guess my point is twofold on changes to Dragonlance lore:

1 - The only reason Dragonlance didn't have dwarven wizards is because at the time D&D didn't. If D&D did, for all we know Raistlin and Caramon could've been dwarves. This isn't some deep authorial decision, but simply a direct influence of the game at the time. To me, it's the same with Greyhawk and arguments that it shouldn't have this or that race or class - if harengon had been around back then, you can bet Gary would've had them in Greyhawk. Since the game has changed, I don't really see a reason why the worlds can't change too.

2 - Where canon meets real-world pain, canon must always give. Seeing segregated dining for kender at the Inn of the Last Home felt very ugly.

Just because you're resistant doesn't mean you have any legal ability to stop them.

Remove ads