D&D 5E Do you play with "casual" gamers, and how should D&D Next accomodate their needs?

How often do you play with casual gamers?

• Never, I don't know anyone interested in casually playing.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Only briefly, as I expect new players to step up and put some effort into the game.

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • I occasionally have one or two casual gamers in my group.

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • I usually or always have one or two casual gamers in my group.

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • Casual gamers usually make up half or more of the players in my group.

Votes: 20 23.0%

am181d

Adventurer
What I'm getting from this thread is that there may be a value in defining both a basic and a more advanced version of the game.

Hmm. That sounds oddly familiar...

Alan Shutko

Explorer
I'm probably a "casual gamer" these days. I bought two books for 4e, and probably 3-4 for 3.5e.

The reason I'd say WotC should think about casual gamers is there are probably a lot more of them than dedicated gamers. If I can get five people in my group eventually picking up a PHB but not really buying anything else, that's at least as good as relying on me to buy 5 books. Reducing the barrier to entry to the hobby, and the expectation of continued investment, can increase the number of players and make more money.

soulcatcher78

First Post
What I'm getting from this thread is that there may be a value in defining both a basic and a more advanced version of the game.

Hmm. That sounds oddly familiar...

Falining that I'd like to see a Beginners Box type of product released alongside the core books. It's an easier price point and it will give the potential casual player a less intimidating way to get started if they don't have a group available.

Remove ads