• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Do you really want Greyhawk and Dragonlance for 4e

Stormonu

Legend
Asking why you would want different "generic fantasy" worlds of FR, Greyhawk and Dragonlance is like asking a sci-fi fan "If you have Star Wars, why would you want Star Trek or Babylon 5?"

Each world is different enough that if you were familiar with each, the mere sort of adventures one would find would be drastically different, before even getting into the unique races and monsters.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
As a long-time Dragonlance fan and a freelance RPG designer who worked on the 3.5 DL rules under Margaret Weis Productions, I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I'd like to see new sourcebooks as it would be new content, and as it would be a good chance that Dragonlance novels will return.

On the other hand, I think the MWP period was the best era for Dragonlance gaming. They got it right. I'd hate to see what WotC might do to the setting to make it more 4e-compliant. In some ways, I'd rather the fans do 4e conversions on the Dragonlance Nexus.

As for Greyhawk, I'm more of a casual fan. As it has been a while since we've had a good and proper sourcebook, I would love to see a new sourcebook.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Asking why you would want different "generic fantasy" worlds of FR, Greyhawk and Dragonlance is like asking a sci-fi fan "If you have Star Wars, why would you want Star Trek or Babylon 5?"

This has always puzzled me too. I mean, really, why WOULD anyone want Star Trek or Babylon 5?

Obryn

Hero
Each world is different enough that if you were familiar with each, the mere sort of adventures one would find would be drastically different, before even getting into the unique races and monsters.
Undoubtedly. However, I think my Greyhawk boxed set would work perfectly fine for 4e. Ditto, my FR Grey Box.

I think there's a lot of merit for those settings, but I don't have a pressing need for new sourcebooks for them.

-O

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I am a fan of Greyhawk. I have been since I started playing in 1991. Why would I not want to share my favorite setting with players new to the game?

I suppose if they made the Living Greyhawk years canon, then I might be a little upset. In fact, perhaps it would be best to reboot the setting back to its pre-wars version. Then again, it might be odd to retrofit dragonborn into established canon.

Of course, if Greyhawk were rebooted, there would be a host of adventures that could be updated and rereleased. But they have already released of few of the classics like The Village of Hommlet and Tomb of Horrors. And really, isn't Revenge of the Giants just paying homage to a classic series of 1st Edition Greyhawk adventures?

So, to answer the question - "Yes!" "No!" and "In a way, they already have."

the Jester

Legend
I certainly know both those settings have very big fanbases, especially GH, but in the end, they're both traditional settings like Forgotten Realms. Like many other people say, GH fans nowadays mainly just play the setting for the nostalgia. In my opinion, the two settings are a bit to similar to FR and think it's good to have the more interesting settings like Eberron and Dark Sun being made instead.

You have it backwards- FR is a traditional setting like Greyhawk, not the other way around. That said, FR has been published already and I had no interest whatsoever in it, except as far as photocopying the swordmage pages went. OTOH if WotC published a Greyhawk book I would be all over it in a red-hot second, assuming that it was any good- and I do not play in Greyhawk and probably won't ever run it again (my World of Greyhawk's destruction by Tharizdun is a big part of the campaign background).

Starglyte

Explorer
I have never played Greyhawk and I have read some of the Dragonlance novels. I would love to see a 4th edition reboot of these settings much like what they did with Dark Sun.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
As someone who learned D&D with Greyhawk and read all of the Dragonlance novels I'd be in for a reboot of either provided I could fit my games into whatever part of the timelines of the settings I chose to.

As to introducing new mechanics, I have all of the old Greyhawk and Dragonlance stuff. I'd only be buying it for the new mechanics and flair. I don't understand why anyone would buy something if it was exactly the same as something that came previously, unless they didn't buy the original thing to begin with. (and then, how do they know what they're talking about?)

Forgotten Realms is certainly good enough to scratch the itch and I take my hat off to Mr. Greenwood for putting together what I think is the most successful setting released to date. My opinion of it is it tries to be too much and meet the needs of every player in some way and to me it's always felt overly generic. (Not intended as a slight, but if we're having a quick chat about opinion, that's mine.)

KB

drothgery

First Post
Really, I think the time to do a Greyhawk Campaign Setting would be as the first one for 5e (it would have worked early in 4e's life, too, but that ship has sailed) - making an unequivocal statement that the old-school setting and Great Wheel are just fine with the new system, even if they're not the default any more.

Remove ads