Do you recall a nostalgic D&D picture/illustration?

caudor

Adventurer
Is there a single picture or illustration in any D&D product that you are particularly fond of...perhaps for nostalgic reasons?

For example, my favorite is a picture from G123 Against the Giants. It is a picture of female giants in working a kitchen -- one is about to clobber a poor orc slave with a frying pan for spilling something. The Orc has its ears pull back and appears to be about to squeal. Just seeing that one brings back fond memories for me.

Is there are single picture/illustration that sums up D&D for you?

KB9JMQ

First Post
The City of Brass Cover.
I cannot count how many times I have read that book just to read it.
I smile everytime I see that cover. :D

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
For me it is the cover to the D&D Expert Box Set because it was the first RPG product I ever owned.

For those that may not know here is a picture of it:

Expert5th.jpg

pogre

Legend
The picture of the Paladin hacking his way through a bunch of devils in hell. Not great art, but lots of fun and inspiring!

I always liked the old Tom Wham illustrations too.

Michael Tree

First Post
Psychotic Dreamer said:
For me it is the cover to the D&D Expert Box Set because it was the first RPG product I ever owned.
Ah, that brings back memories. All the covers of the OD&D box sets do, especially the Expert, Master, and Immortals. The immortals rules really opened my eyes about what can be done with RPGs.

Aside from those, the picture of the halfling Phalse from White Plume Mountain (well, all the pics from that module) do so especially.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
There is a pic in the old 1e DMG which was done by Darlene Pekul, which is done in the process in which ink is panted onto paper and is scratched away to make the picture (I cannot for the life of me recall what the term for it is; it's something I learned long ago, so I really should know it). It's of a wizard on horseback along a coastline under a cloud-laden sky, a viking longship plowing through the waves in the background. It's a moody, mysterious picture, which helped give another dimension to what D&D seemed to be about.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Ah, there are so many. The old sketches from the first edition PHB and DMG really are some of my favorites for nostalgic reasons. I especially like the one on the title page of the PHB with the gnome sitting on a giant 6-sided die and smoking a pipe.

Remove ads