Do you roll NPC/Monster stats?

Drowbane

First Post
I don't roll for stats either way (PC or NPC). Randomization is great for combat, but I am over it for character creation. And as a DM I just give whatever stats makes sense to me at the time. Mooks are generally pretty average in everything but what I need them to do. NPCs of note are built on a similiar scale to the Heroes. BBEGs are generally superior to the heroes in every way that matters.

Sekhmet

First Post
I don't roll for stats either way (PC or NPC). Randomization is great for combat, but I am over it for character creation. And as a DM I just give whatever stats makes sense to me at the time. Mooks are generally pretty average in everything but what I need them to do. NPCs of note are built on a similiar scale to the Heroes. BBEGs are generally superior to the heroes in every way that matters.

I still enjoy a little randomness in my PC generation. Seems the point buy system is always the same stats, every time. I don't like that.
D&D Next's current playtest has character generation Roll 4 Drop Lowest, or 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 (with mention that the DM can have any method he wants to use in place).

Drowbane

First Post
I still enjoy a little randomness in my PC generation. Seems the point buy system is always the same stats, every time. I don't like that.

Well, perhaps unfortunately, there is a "right way" to make a Fighter (for example). High Str and Con is far more effective than say going with Dex and Cha (swashbuckler style?)

Until that changes, expect players to want certain scores in certain stats for certain class configurations. This is "true" regardless of Point Buy vs Rolling. In pt buy you just have a better chance of hitting that mark.

D&D Next's current playtest has character generation Roll 4 Drop Lowest, or 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 (with mention that the DM can have any method he wants to use in place).

So roll and hope for awesome or suffer the mediocre? No thanks. I played 2e for roughly a decade, we dropped random stats about half way through. edit: oddly enough, it took a couple years of playing 3e before again saying no to random rolls for stats.

5e still have time to impress me enough to buy it. 4e (and PF) failed to do so... I do not expect 5e to do so either.

I do not require that my gaming system still be supported to find it playable... so WotC has an uphill battle for my dollar.

Sekhmet

First Post
[MENTION=23396]Drowbane[/MENTION] I don't like every character to feel the same, and "random" rolls seem to be a good way of accomplishing that without sacrificing character builds.
I've even used the video-game style character generation, where you roll your stats, subtract them all to minimums, and build upward from there using standard point buy mechanics.

Water Bob

Adventurer
RE: Random PC Generation

I like point buy in certain games. But, in D&D, random roll makes more realistic people. I tend to gravitate towards random roll. I like the true "characters" it makes rather than the more stereotypical results of point buy with everybody in a certain range.

I mean, life isn't balanced. All of us are different. I like it when the characters relfect that.

Drowbane

First Post
RE: Random PC Generation

I like point buy in certain games. But, in D&D, random roll makes more realistic people. I tend to gravitate towards random roll. I like the true "characters" it makes rather than the more stereotypical results of point buy with everybody in a certain range.

I mean, life isn't balanced. All of us are different. I like it when the characters relfect that.

Sure, sure. I don't tend to play realistic people in D&D. I play Heroes (and sometimes villains).

Orius

Legend
Generally I'll roll up or specially prep stats for important NPCs/monsters like "bosses" and the like, but anything that's cannon fodder generally goes by the book, with maybe some weapons and anything related like feats adjusted to the situtation. This seems to be a pretty common approach.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Sure, sure. I don't tend to play realistic people in D&D. I play Heroes (and sometimes villains).

I usually hear that from point buy people. To each his own. As long as you're having fun.

I like to see the character that rises above his stats to become a hero--sometimes, in spite of his stats.

For me, even though I do play point buy in games where that is the default, I find that point buy always turns out similar characters.

But, hey, I know there's another taste out there. I'm just saying what I prefer.

green slime

First Post
I usually hear that from point buy people. To each his own. As long as you're having fun.

I like to see the character that rises above his stats to become a hero--sometimes, in spite of his stats.

For me, even though I do play point buy in games where that is the default, I find that point buy always turns out similar characters.

But, hey, I know there's another taste out there. I'm just saying what I prefer.

As DM whatever the story needs. I don't point buy, nor do I bother with rolls. Not too often there is a call for a high level Wizard with 12 Intelligence.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases