Do you sell your books?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I only ever sell books that I have multiple copies of. I simply can't ever bring myself to give them away. Which is why I have to keep buying more shelves and finding places to put them.

pogre

Legend
Yep. Sell books all the time. I do have a WFRP collection I hold onto, but I still get occasional use of even the 1st edition stuff.

The costs of shipping has slowed down my selling more than anything.

the Jester

Legend
I keep them, and I keep using them. There's a ton of stuff in earlier edition books that you can pull, convert, or tweak. Often, you can pretty much use older material as is if you just switch the rules elements to 5e; for instance, I've run both 1e and 4e adventures in 5e with minimal conversion notes.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I had to come to reality that I would never use most of collection, which was a LOT of 1970s and 80s books. Not just DnD, but palladium, earth dawn, car wars, and many others. Including most dragon magazines from 1 to 200. But I needed room. So I gave them all away to people who could appreciate them.

I've sold some books. The 3e and 4e D&D collections just took up so much shelf space that I sold off large portions of them when those editions were done. In general, though I hold onto my gaming books, though there have been some that have been so poorly written, or the creators turned out to be so terrible, that I got rid of them.

I have culled from the collection periodically, but tried to stop doing it because I usually end up missing some of what I get rid of later on. Generally, when I have moved I try to slim the collection down, sometimes I look at the shelves and feel bad for all the books I don't have time for, but in recent years I have gotten into a habit of trying to focus on the parts of my collection I have the most genuine interest in, and cut out as much of the "Oooh I might find this useful one day" purchases that can clog it all up. (I have had mixed results in this effort).

I have spent a lot of money recently trying to rebuild some parts of my collection I got rid of a long time ago (I have sunk a nontrivial fortune into recollecting 3rd edition D&D books, for example, despite being convince back in the 4E/Pathfinder 1E days that I would never return or look back). Turns out I was wrong, and D&D 3/3.5 is sitting in my sweet spot for nostalgia right now, even though I never thought that would happen. So.....that's my only warning, be careful what you get rid of!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Hmm, not that I'm aware of, not in Canada.
Not really in the US anymore for normal people, either. You have to have a LOT of donations, medical expenses, or ferociously high mortgage interest and property taxes to qualify to take itemized deductions now.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not really in the US anymore for normal people, either. You have to have a LOT of donations, medical expenses, or ferociously high mortgage interest and property taxes to qualify to take itemized deductions now.

Or run your own business.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I'd rather give them away than sell them.

I have sold a handful of books that I got a piddling for that later I wish I still had, and thus regretted the sale. Even when I decide I wish I still had a book I gave away, I have the satisfaction of knowing it went to someone who appreciated them and felt no regret about the giving.

Remove ads