D&D (2024) Do you still feel that One D&D is "Compatible" with 5E?

Do you still feel that One D&D is "Compatible" with 5E?

• Yup, still compatible. No issues with bringing in 5E Druids etc

Votes: 61 71.8%
  • Nope, perhaps some similarities but yeah it's too different for 5E stuff

Votes: 24 28.2%

You in every case can, thus far.
I guess you could if you want your game to be a clash of messy elements with no design care. It does not seem advisable.

Looking just at the most recent playtest, using the new moon druid subclass with the old druid, or vice versa, would involve meshing two incompatible systems of wildshaping, since the subclass revolves around that. And while moving the level at which features arrive by a level or two rarely matters much, so shifting around a little as a homebrew fix is not the end of the world, Paladins are shifting to getting their 3rd and 4th subclass features at 15 and 20 to getting them at 10 and 14. While the example we've seen of the Devotion Paladin is perhaps not too radically affected, it was still tweaked a bit to account for the level 20 ability being demoted from class capstone to something you could have from level 14 on, as well as replacing a level 15 ability with a level 10 ability.

It's all doable, but I don't see subclasses from one system as out-of-the-box, readily compatible with the other system, and it's kind of an unreasonable level of compatibility to ask for when the new system is standardizing subclass progression and 5e went in a very different direction. In any case they clearly are not building around the idea of intercompatible subclasses. I feel like the standardized subclass leveling was introduced in part just to signal to people not to expect that level of intercompatibility.

Last edited:

Sure. The rules still work fine. However, it would be incompatible in the sense that if the new version of druids were published, everyone playing a druid would prefer the 2014 version.

It would be incompatible with fun.

Aren't you advocating to keeping the game beginner friendly, which i totally agree with. In that sense, the new version is way more friendly, because you don't have to look into DM books.

It is just not fun, because the balance is a bit off.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In any case they clearly are not building around the idea of intercompatible subclasses. I feel like the standardized subclass leveling was introduced in part just to signal to people not to expect that level of intercompatibility.
On the contrary, people are successfully mixing and matching in practice, and the packet explicitly states that they intend people to do so and will make sure the final version is fully compatible o. the Subclass Level (more 5E > OmeD&D than the other way around, as far as polish is concerned I'm sure) for older books to remain viable. I haven't done a deep dive for all the available options except for the Bard...but all the 5E Bard Subclasses work juat fine with the Bard packet, I can verify 100%. Bardic Inspiration is changed, but the options still work fine.

Compatible? Eh.. maybe? I don't think it would feel very organic, though. Also I don't think anyone would pick the One D&D Druid over the 2014 version, as others have pointed out. I certainly can't think of a single reason I ever would.

Mechanically? Sure, you can drop a One D&D UA druid into an existing 5e game and it functions within the game rules just fine. As multiple people have pointed out, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

IMO this will be the biggest challenge for the design team. Some of the nerfs make sense for trying to preserve game balance, but good luck convincing players to take the nerfed version if the old books are compatible and there to be used.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
For me compatibility means that adventures and setting remain relevant and not that an 5E and a 5.5E (6E) druid can play side by side.
Published adventure compatibility is deeply overrated. I don't think I've ever just run one straight, but many, from any and all editions, have material that can be adapted for your own game. To me, that's all published adventures are for.

I guess you could if you want your game to be a clash of messy elements with no design care. It does not seem advisable.
Having a 2014 Druid and a playtest Druid in the same group is no more messy than having a fighter and wizard in the same group and we have been doing that since the beginning of 5e.

We haven’t actually playtested the new Druid yet, by we did exactly that (new with old) for all the previous play tests and it was no more, and usually less, disrupt live than have different classes at the same table.

Remove ads