• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E do you still roll for damage?

Davelozzi

Explorer
At any rate, thanks for all of the responses, I guess I could see how in some situations where things are getting complicated enough it might be worth using the averages for the sake of simplicity, but I'm pretty sure that 99% of the time, I'll still be rolling dice.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

schnee

First Post
I no longer roll for damage.

Instead, I use a complex formula that involves the average damage of the monster, plus a value derived from how much the player has annoyed me recently, minus a value based on how on board they are with the current storyline I'm forcing on them, and either multiplied or divided by a number based on how interested I am in continuing the current combat.

That's fantastically awful.

Did you make this up, or is this a commentary on a terrible DM you had?

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I'm just coming back to D&D after a seven year hiatus (and probably even longer from these boards). I've only had one session of 5e so far but I have been reading through all the core rulebooks, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and Storm King's Thunder and one thing that keeps jumping out at me is the way all the damages for all the different monsters/NPCs are given as a static number with the die range in parentheses. Its' cool that they list it both ways so you can roll or not if you choose, but to me as a life-long player, rolling for damage just seems like such a basic part of the game. I am curious to what the consensus is. Do most DMs out there roll for damage for enemy attacks or just deal out the standard damage every time the monster/NPS connects?

I always roll for damage. It's just more fun to see the ups and downs.

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm just coming back to D&D after a seven year hiatus (and probably even longer from these boards). I've only had one session of 5e so far but I have been reading through all the core rulebooks, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and Storm King's Thunder and one thing that keeps jumping out at me is the way all the damages for all the different monsters/NPCs are given as a static number with the die range in parentheses. Its' cool that they list it both ways so you can roll or not if you choose, but to me as a life-long player, rolling for damage just seems like such a basic part of the game. I am curious to what the consensus is. Do most DMs out there roll for damage for enemy attacks or just deal out the standard damage every time the monster/NPS connects?

Always rolled and always will.

I have used non-random HP in some games (especially for player characters) but I've never used fixed damage. For me, it's one of those fundamental sources of randomness that I don't even question.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads