Do you trust your DM? How far?

How far do you trust your DM?

• I trust my DM fully. I have never read the PHB, all rules are handled by the DM. Why, he even manage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not care how the DM rolls and rules behind his screen - he will not abuse my trust because my f

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • The DM could kill my PC off any moment - but he won't, since we both want to have fun in the game. W

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • The DM screen is there for a reason - sometimes the DM has to bend the rules in order for the group

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • If I knew the DM would fudge rolls to keep my PC or his NPC alive I would not have fun.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • No screen for rolls, no bending of the rules - may the better gamer win in the struggle between NPCs

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • The only thing that keeps my PC alive is my superiour knowledge of the rule loopholes.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • My DM is trying to kill me off - and I am not talking about in-game.

Votes: 1 2.3%

Fenes 2

First Post
A couple of recent threads, not only on these boards, mainly over at WotC's, where people had fits over a DM making a rule up on the fly, prompted me to ask the question: How far do you trust your DM?

Do you trust him or her to provide you with a fun game, or only as far as you can throw him? Do you think everything has to be played according to the rules, especially the DM's rolls, or do you do not care about rules for NPCs as long as the game is fun?

Do you work on geting rid of any of your PC's weaknesses, or do you trust your DM to exploit those weaknesses only as far is needed to make an encounter or adventure fun, and not to kill off your PC?

Is your response to the 5th time in a row your rogue got hit with hold person to try to buy a ring of free action, or to talk with the DM, asking him to hold back with the hold person spells a bit because they are ruining your fun?

Zigmutt

First Post
how far?

about as far as i can throw him...

j/k- depends on the DM- and how much fun we are having- and on the day and how upset i am already.

If I am pissed at work and want to come home and rip the crap out of NPCs- and he purposely keeps him alive to further the plot... i get peeved. But if i am in a jovial mood- he can pretty much do anything within the usual bunds of DMing.

But if i am drunk- hell- he can kill my PC six times over and in three different planes of existence- and i would be happy withit...

Crothian

First Post
I trust my DMs because they are friends. Both are reasonible people willing to talk things out and be fair and are looking to have fun for everyone involved.

Fenes 2 said:
Do you trust him or her to provide you with a fun game, or only as far as you can throw him? Do you think everything has to be played according to the rules, especially the DM's rolls, or do you do not care about rules for NPCs as long as the game is fun?

We have fun, and that's the main goal. We pretyy much play using the rules, but if he/she needs to go beyond the rules then it's okay with me even if I'm not aware of it.

Do you work on geting rid of any of your PC's weaknesses, or do you trust your DM to exploit those weaknesses only as far is needed to make an encounter or adventure fun, and not to kill off your PC?

I purposely create weakness in a character and it's doubtful I'll ever get rid of them. If the DM chooses to exploit them, it's his perogative. I create a rich and full background that the DM may or may not use. And if I die off we usually have the option of being resurrected, as the party is very team oriented and works to bring people back.

Is your response to the 5th time in a row your rogue got hit with hold person to try to buy a ring of free action, or to talk with the DM, asking him to hold back with the hold person spells a bit because they are ruining your fun?

Buy a Ring of Free Action or talk to the Wizard to help me out. I would aslo take the Iron Will feat and possible others that help with a weak will save.

Henry

Autoexreginated
There is a large amount of trust between player and GM, but the most important kind of trust is the trust that the GM will be CONSISTENT. If a GM is known for or has promised before the campaign a certain kind of game (intensive storylines with almost no PC death, a hard edged game where no dice rolls are broken, or simply a mind-shearing deathtrap where every player is challenged every minute to keep their characters alive), then the GM should stick to that kind of game, unless all players give consent to change the pace.

The next more important trust is the trust to be FAIR. If a player makes a decision based on current game rules, then he or she should be allowed to change that decision if the game rules change. If the PC just bought 5 potions of invisibility, and then the GM changes invisibility so that it only works on alternating tuesdays under orange moons during Lent, then the player should be allowed to change their decision.

Remove ads