D&D 5E Do you use a DM screen?

Do you use a DM screen in your games?

• Poll closed .

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I seem to have gained a reputation among my players for running tough-but-fair encounters. I stopped using screens a while back because I don't want the players thinking I'm fudging anything. In fact, I never fudge rolls -- if the players are in over their heads and I believe it's my fault, I'll have the monsters make tactical errors (usually provoking more opportunity attacks). Of course, the flip side of that coin is that when I believe the players are dying because they've been foolish or careless, I'll go ahead and kill them.

Setting aside the conceit that fudging monster/NPC behavior is somehow better than fudging rolls...

Using a screen, for me, isn't about hiding rolls*, it is about keeping my GM's notes out of sight, and having the added space for reference material for the GM.

*Though, it does make some rolls that *should* remain hidden, because the players don't know what they are about, out of sight.

I seem to have gained a reputation among my players for running tough-but-fair encounters. I stopped using screens a while back because I don't want the players thinking I'm fudging anything. In fact, I never fudge rolls -- if the players are in over their heads and I believe it's my fault, I'll have the monsters make tactical errors (usually provoking more opportunity attacks). Of course, the flip side of that coin is that when I believe the players are dying because they've been foolish or careless, I'll go ahead and kill them.

I feel that when they can see I'm not fudging rolls, it's vastly more satisfying overall.

Setting aside the conceit that fudging monster/NPC behavior is somehow better than fudging rolls...

Using a screen, for me, isn't about hiding rolls*, it is about keeping my GM's notes out of sight, and having the added space for reference material for the GM.

*Though, it does make some rolls that *should* remain hidden, because the players don't know what they are about, out of sight.

Hear Hear!!! Fudging is fudging- 50 days hard labor!! :lol:

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Have always used a screen to hide maps and some rolls (like detecting traps or listening at doors).

While the charts can sometimes be useful, I prefer screens that have evocative art on the exterior for my players.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I have used them for many years, for the reasons noted.

And... in my mind DM screens are a bit nerdy, like wearing silly hats and capes in a game... :blush:

Ahmm.

Some might find going to a place like ENWorld and posting a topic like this to be a bit nerdy.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I've always played with a screen and will continue to do so. I do tend to spend a lot of my time standing up, but I started DM'ing behind the screen, and there's no way I'm going back now. For me, it's part of the D&D uniform. The tables and other bits are useful some of the time, but mostly I just enjoy that sense of separation, the idea that I know much more than that PC's and it's their job to adventure the world out of me.

Since 4E introduced the landscape-format D&D screen, I love 'em even more.

I haven't been a DM since the 80s but I did use screens then. As a player I like the screen and the fact that the DM may make Radom rolls behind it. Also having all the monster hit points hidden is fun when its a new creature. " how many HPs does this garbage pit monster have!!!"

As a player I like mystery.

HEEGZ

First Post
I track monster HP, AC, and other notes on a Gamemastery flip mat using dry erase. I also organize notes and other things I dont want players privy to before me. Add a MM open to the next monster, etc. and there are just too many things i dont want my players seeing. so I use a DM screen to block off my notes and monster stats. I am using the BG and Icewind Dale screens from the D&D next adventures, and never reference the stats on them. I will probably reference the stats on the proper 5ed screen whenever they get around to releasing it.

Also, I don't fudge dice rolls, and half of the time I roll the dice out in the open. I almost always use a DM screen though, just not for dice rolls. The only time I don't use a screen is when I DM on NWN2...

Remove ads