D&D 5E Do you use a DM screen?

Do you use a DM screen in your games?

• Poll closed .

Talmek

Explorer
While I prefer to have a screen when I DM a game, my players prefer that I do not. One could attribute this to open rolls, etc, but I still hide them anyway. My folks simply dislike the separation between the DM and the players.

I never really understood this, as when another member of our group would DM he never used a screen, but I really would have been indifferent to it if he had chosen to as a matter of preference.

To each their own I suppose.

Mavkatzer

Explorer
My experience has been a little different in terms of players' attitdes. The group I run the most tells me they prefer to not be tempted to look at maps, charts, and such, so they prefer a short screen up. It is essentially a "we don't want to see behind the curtain" attitude.
They do, however, like to see the rolls in front of the screen whenever possible.
So I keep the screen for adventure details, but *usually* roll in plain view.

Amheirchion

Villager
I've only been DMing for a few sessions, and only started playing D&D earlier this year. The DM of my first game used a screen so it seemed natural to use one, monkey see monkey do, etc.
I use a screen made out of two CD cases, I got the idea from someone's blog (I'd credit it if I remembered who it was) and I find it useful to keep notes behind, outside of the view of the players, while not separating me from the players overly much.

Pickles JG

First Post
I didn't mean to imply that fudging rolls was bad, necessarily. However, I always feel a little patronized as a player when I suspect the DM is fudging, so I like to remove all doubt. When I fudge a monster's tactics (a very rare occurrence, by the way), it's far less obvious than a DM rolling behind a screen, announcing 10 misses in a row.

For the few rolls that absolutely must be kept secret, I can hide the roll behind my hand. It doesn't come up that often. Usually, if the players don't even know what the roll is for, there's no need to hide it.

While I agree with the sentiment it's usually just as obvious when the DM starts playing his monsters badly.

I compensate by playing them badly all the time.

At the moment I am running a google + game with everyone's roll hidden.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I use a DM screen, but half the time i am not behind my desk, and rather walking and talking and so i usually carry dice in hands and roll in the open on the table where the map and minis are. :)

Mercule

Adventurer
It's not required, but I generally use one. Why? Because it's easier than peeing on the table to mark how much space I need for my notes and dice.

Currently, I'm using the DIY Savage Worlds screen. I pulled down one of the landscape fillers from the EN World download area (don't remember which), for my side. The players get a map of the campaign area and a couple of interesting tables, like a list of the Eberron deities, houses, and an abbreviated history/timeline.

Since others have commented, I also tend to stand when I GM. I think I do it whether I have a screen or not, but I definitely do it when using a screen; I use Tact-Tiles, so I'm always updating what the PCs can see.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
with D&D I have always used a screen, its an experience that my players understand, its unwritten that sometimes the DM has to make 'adjustments' to die rolls, and the screen maintains an important separation between GM and players. Wouldn't run D&D without one, not to mention that the artwork inspires and the tables help alot.

From what Ive seen of Chris Perkins using the new DM screen I cant wait to pick it up on Jan. 9th.

Remove ads