D&D 5E Do you use a DM screen?

Do you use a DM screen in your games?

• Poll closed .

Agamon

Adventurer
I haven't for years. I prefer a more open approach and rolling dice in the open. My notes are on a laptop or clipboard and aren't easily seen by players (though I play with adults that wouldn't peak at them if they could, anyway). I'd rather use a crib sheet, again, either on my laptop or as part of my notes.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I haven't for years. I prefer a more open approach and rolling dice in the open. My notes are on a laptop or clipboard and aren't easily seen by players (though I play with adults that wouldn't peak at them if they could, anyway)
That's not really the point. I would rather that my players didn't accidentally see a map, or a stat block, or some hint as to what was coming up, than see any of the above and then have to roleplay that they hadn't.

the Jester

Legend
No, never.

If I need a roll to be secret, I cover it with my hand, but I'm very willing to let the dice fall where they may and to generally roll in front of my players.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
I don't run games without a DM screen. The charts are a blessing and sometimes I need to roll some dice in secret.

It also let's me hide my evil grins when I know something is about to happen.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I use them, there are a lot of dice rolls that I do out of sight of my players, plus there are maps and notes I do not want to be seen. Mostly I like the quick reference that the DM screen provides. I will normally add post-its with additional information on them.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not for me. I like to stand, sometimes walk when running a game. I don't like the feeling of a barrier between me and the players.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I nearly always use a screen. I prefer the landscape style. There are some charts and references on then screen that I refer to often. It limits my sprawl on the table. And it provides a handy place to post some of my notes. It also provides screening for the rolls I do not wish the players to see. My combat rolls are generally made in the open.

Tormyr

Adventurer
Technically I do have DM screens. A tablet for the map and a laptop for the adventure and anything else I want to look up.

Joe Liker

First Post
Setting aside the conceit that fudging monster/NPC behavior is somehow better than fudging rolls...

Using a screen, for me, isn't about hiding rolls*, it is about keeping my GM's notes out of sight, and having the added space for reference material for the GM.

*Though, it does make some rolls that *should* remain hidden, because the players don't know what they are about, out of sight.
I didn't mean to imply that fudging rolls was bad, necessarily. However, I always feel a little patronized as a player when I suspect the DM is fudging, so I like to remove all doubt. When I fudge a monster's tactics (a very rare occurrence, by the way), it's far less obvious than a DM rolling behind a screen, announcing 10 misses in a row.

For the few rolls that absolutely must be kept secret, I can hide the roll behind my hand. It doesn't come up that often. Usually, if the players don't even know what the roll is for, there's no need to hide it.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I just bought the empty savage world landscape GM Screen so I'm going to give it a try. I can put my own charts in it, put cool old school D&D artwork up on the front, and its landscape so its easy to see over. I will still be rolling in the open though.

Remove ads