D&D 5E Do you use a DM screen?

Do you use a DM screen in your games?

• Poll closed .

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
My answer is yes, but with the following caveat: it's not between me and the players. That is to say, I have a small folding table/tv tray next to my chair where I keep any notes/maps/etc. that I don't want the players to see. I don't like the barrier, both psychological and physical, between me and the players/action.

Agamon

Adventurer
That's not really the point. I would rather that my players didn't accidentally see a map, or a stat block, or some hint as to what was coming up, than see any of the above and then have to roleplay that they hadn't.

I didn't say anyone else is doing it wrong, whatever works for you. Just as what I do works for me.

was

Adventurer
I do use one. Ideally, I'd like to see one that was only about 3/4 of the current height with plastic sleeves on each side. Then you could insert in your own art or tables. Having a website where you could download and print out the tables you like with a proof of purchase of the screen would also be nice.

aramis erak

Legend
I tend to use them but lay them flat on the table... I occasionally use a landscape-mode screen when I need to conceal maps.

Most of the time, however, I use a notebook with page-protectored sheets of charts that I've recopied.

Bupp

Adventurer
I use my laptop during games, so that is the screen that I have up, though I do often have it closed.

I also roll out in the open, except when I don't.

I used to use one years ago, I still have the 1e screens. My daughter likes them, but I couldn't part with them, so I gave her my 2e screen. She started running games with some of her friends, and is using it, paper clipping up some relative stuff.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
My answer is yes, but with the following caveat: it's not between me and the players. That is to say, I have a small folding table/tv tray next to my chair where I keep any notes/maps/etc. that I don't want the players to see. I don't like the barrier, both psychological and physical, between me and the players/action.

This if possible. Course, I'm not DMing at the moment.

Hollow Man

Explorer
I'm currently DMing over Skype so there's no need for one, but I use it because it's easier to have certain rules in front of me. I also play in a game, and I'm always accidentally seeing the DM's notes, so I want to get in the habit of avoiding that when I do DM in person.

I currently use a mini one that's only 6" tall, because I really don't' like the ones that are 11" tall. I did preorder the new landscape one from WotC, since it was only $7 and change with an Amazon coupon, and I want to see how that works out.

-HM

Remove ads