• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you use deadlines in your campaign?

Do you use deadlines in your adventures?

• I always use time-related deadlines in my adventures

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I often use time-related deadlines in my adventures

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I sometimes use time-related deadlines in my adventures

Votes: 55 51.9%
  • I rarely use time-related deadlines in my adventures

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • I never use time-related deadlines in my adventures

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I always use dramatic deadlines in my adventures

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I often use dramatic deadlines in my adventures

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I sometimes use dramatic deadlines in my adventures

Votes: 40 37.7%
  • I rarely use dramatic deadlines in my adventures

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • I never use dramatic deadlines in my adventures

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I am not a DM

Votes: 0 0.0%

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
In regard to the discussion at the end of this thread, I was wondering how many DMs here use time-related events (deadlines) in their campaign.

That is, the PCs have 7 days to complete their quest or it fails.

Or do you use a more 'dramatic' structure where they always arrive in the nick of time?

Or you just don't have such a campaign.

Discuss! (and Vote!)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
For those looking for a better idea of what "sometimes" and "rarely" mean...

Always = 100%
Often = 70%-90%
Sometimes = 40%-60%
Rarely = 10%-30%
Never = 0%

Or thereabouts. :) Good old imprecise English language.

Cheers!

redboxrazor

First Post
I vary it - some events are time-sensitive while others aren't. Having NPC villains with time-sensitive goals allows me to create a continuity and introduce new problems and changes in the world - whether or not the PCs involve themselves in a particular quest or not.

I also like the idea that PCs just can't fix everything. Sometimes I set up multiple time-sensitive conflicts, and the PCs have to make some hard decisions about how to use their time. I never let a situation like that set the players back too far, but their choices have meaningful consequences.

fba827

Adventurer
For me, it is "often" - however, the players rarely know about it.
In that, something happens if it takes them too long to do it. Whereas if they do it within a certain deadline they get some form of subtle benefit that kicks in down the road.

but occasionally they do know the deadlines upfront - depends on the situation.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
It's also possible to have a hybrid of these, the most obvious (and least satisfying) is a time-related deadline that the DM constantly adjusts for dramatic effects. Although players quickly catch on to this if the DM isn't subtle about it, it's possible to do it well.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I can't remember EVER running a time-sensitive adventure. I don't know why - maybe I should try it soon!

I am told by my main player that I do once in a while run a timed adventure - for example, rescuing a victim before he/she is sacrificed, but never really a high-urgency or critically important goal.

I think this is true - I just don't want the PCs to feel constantly crowded and pushed to make decisions, and timed goals feel that way.

FireLance

Legend
I voted before looking at the defined frequencies, so my two "sometimes" votes for both time-related and dramatic deadlines should actually be closer to "rarely".

In the majority of my adventures, the PCs are not on any kind of deadline and may proceed at whatever pace they enjoy. Introducing a deadline of any kind thus allows me to mix up the pace a bit, and deliver different experiences at the table.

Time-related deadlines often constrain the number of times that the PCs can refresh resources (resting to regain spells/powers and recover hit points). Time-related deadlines can thus emphasize the more strategic elements of a game (should the PCs rest now, or can they risk one more fight?), and push the PCs to go as far as they can before they rest.

IMO, dramatic deadlines are only meaningful if they also impose a constraint. If the PCs arrive in the nick of time and proceed to take down the BBEG in an otherwise ordinary fight, you might as well have them arrive five minutes or even an hour earlier. Arriving in the nick of time should mean that something bad is going to happen unless the PCs stop it almost immediately. So, dramatic deadlines effectively become time-related deadlines too, but the deadline is measured in terms of rounds instead of hours or days. Dramatic deadlines used in this manner limit the number of actions that the PCs may take, and this emphasizes the more tactical elements of the game. The PCs have to ensure that each action that they take counts.

Hussar

Legend
I've done both, but, I gave the edge nod to "dramatic" over time related.

I find time related deadlines hard to pull off well. Either I give too much time, in which case there's no real rush, or not enough time and things get frustrating.

Scribble

First Post
I don't think Do X or Y bad thing will happen to be the only "deadline" related element a campaign can have.

Example: "If you all are in town the day after tomorrow, I'd love to hire you on as caravan guards. I'm traveling to The City..."

"Hrmm.. well we did want to go to The City... and this would get us paid to do it... But we wanted to go to the cave of icky and get the sword of awesome we heard about... think we have time for both? Maybe if we hurry..."

PCs now have to make a choice based on time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads