D&D 5E Do you use XPs or Milestones?

Do you use XPs of Milestones?

• Poll closed .

atanakar

Hero
I was a big fan of experience points when I discovered D&D. At some point during second edition I started handing out a fixed amount of XPs per session regardless of combat and encounters. During 4e we decided to gain one level after each game. That was madness. We didn't have time to savor and properly play the new abilities of characters. At the beginning of 5e we used Milestones. It is a good system but the players felt is was too DM dependent. Now I go by a number of sessions to be played before levelling-up.

Starting level 3 the PCs gain one level after 2 sessions. At level 7 it takes 4 sessions to gain one level. Level 10+ requires 6 sessions. Our sessions last 3-4 hours and on average we play twice per month.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Notably, in D&D 5e, milestones actually do use XP and the characters earn them when certain designated events or challenges are completed. For example, you get XP equivalent to a hard encounter if you complete a major milestone, whatever that is in context.

What many people call "milestone" in their games is actually called "story-based advancement" in D&D 5e where the DM simply grants levels by fiat (typically when the adventurers have completed significant goals) without XP. You appear to be using what's called "session-based advancement." The DMG covers all of this on pages 260-261.

I typically use standard XP in my games so that I can incentivize the activities that will best support the vision of the adventure or campaign. In most of my games, you earn XP if you succeed at a combat or social interaction challenge. You earn treasure or some other benefit if you succeed at an exploration challenge.

Shiroiken

Legend
I use XP, but it's a modified version. I cut monster XP by half, then figure out the value of various exploration and social encounters. I may also offer XP for completing certain quests. All of this encourages smart play, because random fights aren't as useful, while solutions to non-combat situations is rewarded.

I will admit to using story-based leveling when running an epic AP style campaign, but only if the PCs managed to get further along by avoiding challenges (thus limiting their XP). This also rewards smart play, since avoiding challenges is better than facing them.

atanakar

Hero
I typically use standard XP in my games so that I can incentivize the activities that will best support the vision of the adventure or campaign. In most of my games, you earn XP if you succeed at a combat or social interaction challenge. You earn treasure or some other benefit if you succeed at an exploration challenge.

If characters use their free will to go in a direction that doesn't support your adventure they receive no XPs. Is that correct?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If characters use their free will to go in a direction that doesn't support your adventure they receive no XPs. Is that correct?

Characters don't have free will, but in a plot-based adventure or campaign, that's correct. I would use milestone XP or story-based advancement as an incentive to stay on the path. In a location-based adventure or campaign, they can do as they like in the context of the location, but typically only receive XP or treasure as I noted in my post above. If they spent the whole session shopping or hanging out in a tavern or otherwise avoiding challenges, they'd get nothing, which is in part why they don't do that.

Right tool for the right job and all that. In my next campaign, XP will be based on GP spent on training, which will incentivize getting after that treasure.

I used to use XP when I first started but it eventually felt like a chore to track and made for uneven pacing. Now, i hand out levels when it makes sense for the story. Whether they go with the main plot or get sidetracked, they level up when it seems like they've been through enough.

atanakar

Hero
Characters don't have free will, but in a plot-based adventure or campaign, that's correct. I would use milestone XP or story-based advancement as an incentive to stay on the path. In a location-based adventure or campaign, they can do as they like in the context of the location, but typically only receive XP or treasure as I noted in my post above. If they spent the whole session shopping or hanging out in a tavern or otherwise avoiding challenges, they'd get nothing, which is in part why they don't do that.

Right tool for the right job and all that.

My players don't need the carrot and stick method. They are invested in their characters and the campaign. We do have portions of sessions that deal with down time activities, which is part of the game. If they feel the last days were too harrowing and the characters want to rest and chill I'm ok with that. I prefer the neutral session-based approach. Anything I can stop doing outside of narrating/adjucating is a win for me.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I can't vote because your poll doesn't have a choice for what I do, which is different things for different groups and different campaigns. I DM regularly for two groups, one in-person and one online. The in-person group vastly prefers milestone advancement. The online group leans more toward experience points, although I did do milestone advancement in the first 5E campaign I ran for them.

Last edited:

atanakar

Hero
I can't vote because your poll doesn't have a choice for what I do, which is different things for different groups and different campaigns. I DM regularly for two groups, one in-person and one online. The in-person group vastly prefers milestone advancement. The online group leans more toward experience points, although I did do milestone advancement in the first campaign I ran for them.
Fixed, You can now vote multiple options.

Remove ads