Doctor Who (2020) - spoilers!

Hussar

Legend
Considering how little Gallifrey actually appears in Doctor Who, even in the old serials, it wasn't exactly around all the time, who cares if Gallifrey dies? It has a nice impact on The Doctor, who is now alone in the universe again - truly alone since she apparently wasn't even really Gallifreyan at all. How do you deal with that? Plus, now, we have the mystery of where did the Doctor truly come from? Plus, the other versions of the Doctor running around that the current Doctor can't remember.

All sorts of very cool plot lines. I really am failing to see the problem.

nevin

Hero
Yeah. All alone for the 3rd time since they rebooted the series. Insert Dead horse into Tardis and move on sharply. There must be 50 plot lines left open and unexplored and we keep going back to the same one. With bad scripts to drag it down even further

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
More like 500 plot lines left open. Heck, even after 57 years, we still don't really have a particularly solid explanation of why the Doctor left Gallifrey in the first place. Or what happened to the rest of her family. I mean Susan has to have had parents, right? Why didn't she or the Doctor ever mention them? I'm also vaguely surprised that Gallifrey hasn't been destroyed more frequently than it has. Sure, it has some interesting defenses (I assume, mostly), but the Doctor has made so very many powerful enemies over the years, that it seems almost unrealistic that Gallifrey isn't under constant attack from nearly omnipotent, extra-dimensional, pan-universal forces out for revenge. Hmmm... then again maybe that explains why Earth is constantly being threatened... the Doctor seems a lot fonder of Earth than she is of Gallifrey.

GreyLord

Legend
So, did anyone besides me watch the Doctor Who special these past holidays?

Most of the past two seasons has kept my interest, but this special didn't quite keep me involved at some points. I was even kind of bored about mid way through. Maybe it was just me this time.

No spoilers for those who haven't seen it, but I'm wondering if they are going to do a revival of Torchwood.

More to say on that idea, but that would involve me needing to include spoilers.

Omand

Hero
I watched it. It was not as engaging as other past specials, or perhaps I should say that parts of it were not as engaging. Some very nice parts too though.

I also caught the possible whiff of a Torchwood revival. Not sure how I feel about that. I loved the original series because of the character interaction. Then they started killing everyone off. I watched but was neutral about the Children of Earth mini-series, and the US produced mini-series was Torchwood in name only. I watched it, but I really wish it had never happened. How would they come back from that.

Cheers :)

delericho

Legend
I watched the special, and was pleasantly surprised - from the trailer I had expected it to be awful, and it fortunately wasn't that.

That said, I didn't think it was particularly great either. It pretty much seemed to be a mash-up of lots of other Dalek stories, with very little new to offer. That may just be an inherent problem when using villains that have appeared so often over the years - there's just not much left to do.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I watched the special, and was pleasantly surprised - from the trailer I had expected it to be awful, and it fortunately wasn't that.

That said, I didn't think it was particularly great either. It pretty much seemed to be a mash-up of lots of other Dalek stories, with very little new to offer. That may just be an inherent problem when using villains that have appeared so often over the years - there's just not much left to do.

Yeah, more or less this. It was engaging enough but it wasnt particularly innovative and thus kind of predictable. I also agree that because of the Daleks being such iconic villains in a long standing show they dont offer any more surprises - we've seen them fly, we've seen them hybridize with humans, we've seen them get emotions, we've seen them fight each other and we all know that the Doctor will come up with some solution to getting rid of the threat so everyone makes it home for tea.,

I do wonder if its time to change things up again and come up with an entirely new approach to the show. Maybe having a Doctor on Earth, working support to a Torchwood team would be a nice change.

Remove ads