Doctor Who (2020) - spoilers!

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I guess inclusive means no straight white men allowed. Screw your and your forum.
This is probably unfair to you since I suspect you can't respond.

Having spotlight on a small amount of non straight white men doesn't kick straight white men out of the party. The vast majority of the world will still cater to us.

I once thought differently but looking back I'm surprised I did. Inclusion and diversity have been a big part of Sci-Fi for a long time. Asimov taught it with Robots, Star Trek with Aliens, Marvel with Mutants. Still there was a time when I had trouble with it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I thought she was intelligent, capable, positive, and (my favorite) not interesting in dating the Doctor. Then suddenly she was just a downer. Negative and whiny in practically all scenarios. Bill was a breath of fresh air after that.
Bill was bloody awesome. My favourite New Who companion in an excellent season with a wonderful performance by Capaldi. That season was Who at its very best. So was Donna. I found Clara and Martha to both be quite boring. And Rose was fantastic, of course.

GreyLord

Legend
I didn't really care for Clara as a companion. Perhaps it was that it seemed at times the roles of companion and doctor got reversed and instead of the Doctor being the cocky one, it was the companion instead.

On the otherhand, I absolutely LOVE the three companions we have now. I'm not sure why people don't think they have enough screen time or work well. I think they are aces above the last doctor's companions for the most part.

Yaz has had a LOT Of character development IMO. She has a back history dealing with family, herself (and we had the episode that dealt with mental illness and showing her overcoming it and really was inspirational I felt in many ways with her story there) and other issues. She's intelligent and really a great companion, perhaps one of the best from what I've seen.

I also like the dynamic between Ryan and Graham. It's the rocky start but developing relationship...all at the same time where they are dealing with the loss of their loved one. That relationship has really cemented. In a way I see them as two sides of the same companion, both reflecting different issues of loss, love, and relationships from two opposite ends of the spectrum (old and young, husband or son, etc).

I honestly like the new companions for the Doctor.

Zardnaar

Legend
Personally I loved Capaldi's time as the Doctor. He's got at least 3 or 4 of the franchises best episodes to his credit.
I liked him as the doctor, loved Missy but the stories were a bit meh.

The tank, guitar scene with Capaldi was quite funny. Wasn't a fan of the Cybermen plot.

Haven't really minded any of the companions but Rose and Donna were so good.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Personally I loved Capaldi's time as the Doctor. He's got at least 3 or 4 of the franchises best episodes to his credit.
Absolutely. He's the strongest actor to hold the part. His first season was weak, but when he hit his stride there were a couple of really superb seasons.

There's one episode - the one on Gallifrey where he's in the barn - that he doesn't say a thing for the first 15 minutes. Just acts with his presence. And you don't even realise he hasn't said anything, because he's a strong enough actor that he didn't need to. A wonderful, wonderful performance.

Any Missy? Superb! My favourite iteration of the Master of all time. Capaldi and Michelle Gomez. Just sublime.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
next week looks like a filler episode. for about a minute when the massive download started I thought it was a cyberman plan.

why did he give them his dead mother? cant figure out the whole sending the historical figures to the forest/inside world.

Going to agree with others-seems like we got a bigger budget however part 2 of this episode was a major letdown

I am highly concerned at some point we are going to get a big lore altering change and I'm not going to like it. My theory is somehow the DR/Master are not true timelords but in fact are less than 100%
My theory is that timelords are the descendants of humans who were altered by time travel. You know, like how Rory and Amy's kid was a timelord.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've wondered if they might do that reveal for years now.
Me too. Even before River Song's origins were revealed, but once they showed us that two humans coneiving a child in the midst of time travel leads to a timelord (is she technically a timelord, they never say, but she certainly seems to be one), it's pretty strongly implied as a possibility.

Remove ads