• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Who 60th Anniversary Specials [[SPOILERS!!]]

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Toymaker is basically Mr. Mxyzptlk, who only functions as a nemesis through narrative fiat. Any time they announce that something in Doctor Who violates the rules of time and space, it's probably best not to worry about logic too much.

As for the bi-generation, given how much foreshadowing was laid down in this episode (the Master returning with the aid of a female figure who apparently was waiting under the lip of the flight deck, the thing that the Toymaker ran from, at least one other thing I don't remember), I don't view the 14th Doctor hanging around as permanent. I'm confident he will show up to sacrifice himself at the end of one of RTD's patented super-dramatic season finales.

In any case, I find it amusing that UNIT apparently has built Avengers Tower in the middle of London, but like that it's going to be the home for stray companions, who by virtue of traveling with the Doctor, have a head full of useful knowledge for UNIT and, by and large, the right attitude for anything that comes UNIT's way. I like the new-to-me alien working with them; it doesn't make sense that the Doctor is the only alien they'd be on friendly terms with at this point.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
As for the bi-generation, given how much foreshadowing was laid down in this episode (the Master returning with the aid of a female figure who apparently was waiting under the lip of the flight deck, the thing that the Toymaker ran from, at least one other thing I don't remember), I don't view the 14th Doctor hanging around as permanent. I'm confident he will show up to sacrifice himself at the end of one of RTD's patented super-dramatic season finales.
Yeah. I wasn't a fan of that. I'd heard the rumor but was hoping for time travel shenanigans rather than two concurrent Doctors. It reminds me of the meta-crisis with Ten sending a version of himself to live happily ever after with Rose in an alternate dimension. We got that again, only Fourteen (mostly) stays on Earth hanging with the Nobles. I don't mind writers...rhyming with themselves and touching on the same themes a few times, but this feels like straight repetition. Not really a fan of that. Cannot wait to see Ncuti Gatwa in action though. Finally a happy, upbeat, cheery Doctor. I really hope the mope has been left far behind.

MarkB

Legend
Bi-generation feels like the wrong word for this in any case. A bi-generation would have been Tennant splitting off into two new incarnations. This just feels like the same thing he did in Journey's End, finding a way to let a regeneration fix him without actually letting go and allowing himself to properly regenerate.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Bi-generation feels like the wrong word for this in any case. A bi-generation would have been Tennant splitting off into two new incarnations. This just feels like the same thing he did in Journey's End, finding a way to let a regeneration fix him without actually letting go and allowing himself to properly regenerate.
To me stuff like that, no matter how well-explained, always reveals the executive motivations behind the story.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
yeah I was reflecting on this and noted that they referenced Logopolis during this episode. Logopolis is significant as it might be a precedent for Bi-Generation
was the episode during the 4th Doctors reign when The Watcher is stalking Tegan and the Doctor. He's a spectral figure that is silent and mysterious but can communicate with the Doctor and pilot the Tardis. We later learn that the Watcher is the unregenrated manifestation of the Doctors next incarnation
If thats the case then the bi-generation has a kind of precedent and Tenant showing up later to sacrifice himself would be entirely within character

MarkB

Legend
yeah I was reflecting on this and noted that they referenced Logopolis during this episode. Logopolis is significant as it might be a precedent for Bi-Generation
was the episode during the 4th Doctors reign when The Watcher is stalking Tegan and the Doctor. He's a spectral figure that is silent and mysterious but can communicate with the Doctor and pilot the Tardis. We later learn that the Watcher is the unregenrated manifestation of the Doctors next incarnation
If thats the case then the bi-generation has a kind of precedent and Tenant showing up later to sacrifice himself would be entirely within character
Also, the Doctor isn't actually a Time Lord. Maybe the regeneration process that the Gallifreyans commandeered for life-extension also serves as a method of reproduction for the Doctor's species.

Remove ads