Doctor Who 60th Anniversary Specials [[SPOILERS!!]]

I have watched a lot of Dr Who and am used to it being socially progressive, sometimes it was not even progressive enough, but the end of the first special, the bluntness/awkwardness of those lines at the end really felt out of place and threw off the whole special for me.

If you think new Doctor Who (2005+) has an agenda, you either didn't watch or weren't paying attention when old Doctor Who (1963-1989) was on. And you definitely weren't paying attention during the Wilderness Years (1989-2005) with the endless novels and Big Finish audio.

Complaining about the social agenda of Doctor Who is even more of a tell than complaining about the social agenda of Star Trek. Doctor Who has always...always...always been "social agenda heavy." It's a defining trait of the franchise. Only slightly less prominent than the Doctor and the TARDIS.
Doctor Who can have whatever agenda it wants. I just wish the writing was better. Star Beast was definitely the worst of the specials, imo, and it all comes down to the writing and delivery of that very on the nose agenda at the end. But that was my usual issue with RTD the first time around. I just wish he had grown as a writer in the last 15 years.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Doctor Who can have whatever agenda it wants. I just wish the writing was better. Star Beast was definitely the worst of the specials, imo, and it all comes down to the writing and delivery of that very on the nose agenda at the end. But that was my usual issue with RTD the first time around. I just wish he had grown as a writer in the last 15 years.
You say about one of the most lauded TV writers in the UK today. OBE for writing. FRSL for writing. His wiki page has seven beefy paragraphs of accolades for writing. But sure. Because you don't like his agenda, he needs to "grow as a writer."

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You say about one of the most lauded TV writers in the UK today. OBE for writing. FRSL for writing. His wiki page has seven beefy paragraphs of accolades for writing. But sure. Because you don't like his agenda, he needs to "grow as a writer."
I could have sworn it was possible not to like writing with an agenda (and that was quite heavy-handed) and still agree with the principle of the agenda itself. Am I wrong about that?

Where did I say I don’t like his agenda? Thanks for putting words into my mouth. I said my issues was in how he’s getting that agenda across. Mainly by hitting the viewer over the head with a 2x4.

I will miss this show. Not hearing good things about ratings and it appears the agenda is driving fans away which wasn’t something it did in the past

Just like baseball past performance is no guarantee of future results

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I will miss this show. Not hearing good things about ratings and it appears the agenda is driving fans away which wasn’t something it did in the past
The ratings are excellent whatever you've 'heard'. It's the highest watched drama of the whole of 2023 in the UK.

But we've been over this several times in this thread.

The ratings are excellent whatever you've 'heard'. It's the highest watched drama of the whole of 2023 in the UK.

But we've been over this several times in this thread.
But aren’t these lower than pre Whitaker and I’m taking this information from dr who sites and not the obvious YouTube and there’s a lot of initial curiosity plus based on viewer ratings the ruby road episode was ranked 28th lowest rated out of 179 new who episodes

Staffan

Legend
But aren’t these lower than pre Whitaker and I’m taking this information from dr who sites and not the obvious YouTube and there’s a lot of initial curiosity plus based on viewer ratings the ruby road episode was ranked 28th lowest rated out of 179 new who episodes
My understanding is that the numbers are lower, because overall TV viewership is down (because of more channels, people watching things on computers instead, and so on). It's still among the most-watched shows, it's just that the bar is lower these days.

As for ratings, I have no idea. I found both the 60th anniversary specials and the Christmas special perfectly delightful. Not amazing, but you need to establish the characters for a while before you can get to amazing.

Remove ads