Doctor Who 60th Anniversary Specials [[SPOILERS!!]]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But aren’t these lower than pre Whitaker and I’m taking this information from dr who sites and not the obvious YouTube and there’s a lot of initial curiosity plus based on viewer ratings the ruby road episode was ranked 28th lowest rated out of 179 new who episodes
I haven't got the spoons to have this same conversation yet again in the same thread. Sorry.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
But aren’t these lower than pre Whitaker and I’m taking this information from dr who sites and not the obvious YouTube and there’s a lot of initial curiosity plus based on viewer ratings the ruby road episode was ranked 28th lowest rated out of 179 new who episodes
Context is king. TV ratings are down across the board. For context, Ruby was #3 for the day, only behind Charles’ speech and Strictly. The doom and gloom nonsense lacks context and is a common alt-right troll tactic used to decry the “woke agenda” of the show that was built on having an agenda.

Maybe just don’t.

Staffan

Legend
Speaking of Doctor Who and politics, here's a video Council of Geeks made 6 years ago, in response to people saying Doctor Who was getting too political with a lady Doctor and such:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Speaking of Doctor Who and politics, here's a video Council of Geeks made 6 years ago, in response to people saying Doctor Who was getting too political with a lady Doctor and such:
That’s great. If he went over all the agenda and political episodes, even in the quick summary fashion he’s doing, it would take hours to go through them all. Fantastic video.

Staffan

Legend
That’s great. If he went over all the agenda and political episodes, even in the quick summary fashion he’s doing, it would take hours to go through them all. Fantastic video.
They go by she/they these days, but given that the video is six years old and they were male-presenting at the time, at least in that video, I'm not sure what pronoun is appropriate.

Staffan

Legend
One thing I thought of with the No-Things as I was watching the episode: they reminded me a lot, concept-wise, of Exalted's Fair Folk: creatures getting into the real universe from the outside and trying to figure out what this whole "physics" and "biology" and "time" is. You generally don't see the process in Exalted, only the results, but still.

Dausuul

Legend
I was not impressed with "Star Beast," but "Wild Blue Yonder" knocked it out of the park IMO. I'm sure I will spot any number of plot holes when I stop to think about it later, but it was exciting and full of wild ideas and unexpected twists, and served it all up with a great big helping of nightmare fuel. That's pretty much the sweet spot of Doctor Who for me. And of course they brought back my absolute favorite companion ever, even if only for a few moments at the very end.

Haven't watched "The Giggle" yet, but I am optimistic now.
Doctor Who can have whatever agenda it wants. I just wish the writing was better. Star Beast was definitely the worst of the specials, imo, and it all comes down to the writing and delivery of that very on the nose agenda at the end. But that was my usual issue with RTD the first time around. I just wish he had grown as a writer in the last 15 years.
Apparently "Star Beast" was RTD doing an adaptation of someone else's story, while "Wild Blue Yonder" and "The Giggle" are RTD originals.

I do miss Moffat's intricate clockwork plots. I hope they get him back to do one or two episodes each season. I wasn't always on board with his approach as showrunner, but when I look at my all-time favorite episodes of Doctor Who, Moffat wrote almost all of them.

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
I do miss Moffat's intricate clockwork plots. I hope they get him back to do one or two episodes each season. I wasn't always on board with his approach as showrunner, but when I look at my all-time favorite episodes of Doctor Who, Moffat wrote almost all of them.
Yeah, Moffat's a great example of someone being promoted above their proper competence level. Fantastic for the occasional episode, but maybe a bit too clever for his own good when it comes to overarching plots.

Remove ads