Doctor Who 60th Anniversary Specials [[SPOILERS!!]]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am so looking forward to this. Also has anyone watched the Dalek colourization and revised Adventures in Space and Time yet?
I watched The Daleks.

I kinda feel like the colourisation actually highlights the cheap sets/props. It's really clear where parts of the daleks are cardboard boxes. But it does make it more watchable (plus the pacing is presumably better, but I don't recall the original well enough to tell--they did cut about half an hour's worth though).

Riley

Legend
Supporter
I watched The Daleks.

… the pacing is presumably better, but I don't recall the original well enough to tell--they did cut about half an hour's worth though).
They cut a lot more than that! The Daleks was a 7-parter, running 171 minutes. Losing six sets of credits only loses about 9 of those minutes.

They cut a lot more than that! The Daleks was a 7-parter, running 171 minutes. Losing six sets of credits only loses about 9 of those minutes.

Yeah, they cut it down to only 75 minutes. I know all the old episodes could be trimmed some here and there, but cutting almost 100 minutes had to have hurt the story it was telling. A few minutes of credits and the couple of minutes at the start of each episode that starts with the end of the previous episode, still leaves way too much trimming.

The Daleks in Colour was great, but could have been about 15 minutes long. Removing some of the plot sections in what would have been parts 3 and 4 of 7 by doing flashbacks and montages hurt it thematically. It felt like a modern superhero movie in the way it was edited and in its storytelling. That is not something I would think I would ever say about any version of 1960s Doctor Who and not really a good thing, but overall, I found the rest of it very watchable.

The original BW serial is on iPlayer. The leisurely pacing actually allows for some character development (and I'm pretty sure Barbara would never wear such a bright pink sweater!)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The original BW serial is on iPlayer. The leisurely pacing actually allows for some character development (and I'm pretty sure Barbara would never wear such a bright pink sweater!)
I listened to an interview with one of the team that did it and he said they used old photos to match the colours.

I listened to an interview with one of the team that did it and he said they used old photos to match the colours.
Sure, I don't doubt it was pink, just not quite such a bright pink. Old photos fade, and old photographic film did not reproduce colours accurately. She is of the same generation as my mum, I know what sort of pinks she would have worn.

Remove ads