• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Who 60th Anniversary Specials [[SPOILERS!!]]

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Disney must be bemused to have such a new-viewer-unfriendly special kicking off Doctor Who being on Disney+.

The start of a new Doctor is historically a time when it's ideal to jump on as a new viewer, but wow, The Star Beast was pretty aggressive about viewers needing to remember 15 year old storyline to fully get everything that was going on.

Having said that, it was pretty good for all of that. Nice to have the Shadow Proclamation used again and the upgraded magic wand sonic screwdriver is pretty swell.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Disney must be bemused to have such a new-viewer-unfriendly special kicking off Doctor Who being on Disney+.

The start of a new Doctor is historically a time when it's ideal to jump on as a new viewer, but wow, The Star Beast was pretty aggressive about viewers needing to remember 15 year old storyline to fully get everything that was going on.

Having said that, it was pretty good for all of that. Nice to have the Shadow Proclamation used again and the upgraded magic wand sonic screwdriver is pretty swell.
That’s what the recap was for. No need to remember.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I would be amazed if newbies felt the recap gave them enough information for the special to feel satisfying for them.
I’m not sure why. The only thing that mattered was Donna’s memory and they repeated that about 4-5 times including the teaser. Most of it sounded like standard background sci-fi technobabble if you didn’t already know what most of it meant.

Besides, these specials aren’t aimed at bringing new fans in. They’re aimed at bringing back lapsed fans. Xmas is when the push for new fans will start with Ncuti Gatwa. And the real big push for new fans will be for Ncuti Gatwa’s Series 1.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I would be amazed if newbies felt the recap gave them enough information for the special to feel satisfying for them.
My son (16) watched it with my wife, daughter and I. He's never watched them before while his sister has seen all the NewWho many times over. He didn't have any trouble following it after the recap. I don't think any of us added much more explanation. He may have known LESS than your average person who is interested in giving the show a shot.

Remove ads