DOCTOR WHO: "Deep Breath" (SPOILERS)

delericho

Legend
Okay, here's a somewhat out-there theory for the identity of Missy: Susan.

At the moment, the show has something of an old-school vibe going: the Doctor's an older man again, and he's accompanied by a teacher from the Coal Hill School. If Mr Pink joins the team, then it'll be two teachers from that school. In which case, that's pretty much a mirror of the original crew of the TARDIS, with one exception: the Doctor's grand-daughter.

A much more tenuous link... the first Doctor Who story was "An Unearthly Child" and the second introduced the Daleks. Here, the second episode features Daleks, and Michelle Gomez, both here and as Sue White in Green Wing, has a distinctly unearthly manner about her. (Hey, I said it was tenuous!)

About the girlfriend/boyfriend reference: the show definitely has elements of flawed memory about it at the moment - the Doctor has missing/affected memories, the Dalek had such memories. So, if Susan is likewise suffering from memory problems, she could remember they had "a relationship" but not necessarily remember what it was.

But how could she become an antagonist? Well, way back when, the Doctor left her behind and promised that one day he would come back. Obviously, he hasn't, and since then all hell has broken loose with the Time War and other such things. Perhaps she waited several lifetimes, buried David and their children, and eventually decided to go looking.

I still think she's probably the Rani, though. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
About the girlfriend/boyfriend reference: the show definitely has elements of flawed memory about it at the moment - the Doctor has missing/affected memories, the Dalek had such memories. So, if Susan is likewise suffering from memory problems, she could remember they had "a relationship" but not necessarily remember what it was.

Even if memory was an issue, I think someone referring to their grandfather as their boyfriend is pretty creepy. I can't see that happening on Doctor Who.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I did notice he refers to the TARDIS as "the time capsule". That's what Hartnell used to call it. And his attitude is *very* early Hartnell. I don't think Hartnell linkage is totally off-base.

MarkB

Legend
It's interesting that Missy isn't specifically collecting the Doctor's opponents - she's collecting those who die around him. However, she didn't seem to have collected the first soldier who was killed by the Dalek's eyebots.

If it weren't for that pesky "Did he fall / was he pushed?" question regarding last week's antagonist, we could almost see a theme here of Missy collecting people the Doctor persuades to sacrifice their lives.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's interesting that Missy isn't specifically collecting the Doctor's opponents - she's collecting those who die around him. However, she didn't seem to have collected the first soldier who was killed by the Dalek's eyebots.

If it weren't for that pesky "Did he fall / was he pushed?" question regarding last week's antagonist, we could almost see a theme here of Missy collecting people the Doctor persuades to sacrifice their lives.

I think it looks like the latter. Which means he jumped. We'll know for sure next week - if somebody sacrificed themself and gets collected by Missy, we'll have our answer!

RC Hagy

Explorer
I did notice he refers to the TARDIS as "the time capsule". That's what Hartnell used to call it. And his attitude is *very* early Hartnell. I don't think Hartnell linkage is totally off-base.

Very Hartnell. Very... matter of fact. Almost to the point of being dismissive. Capaldi's so far does not seem to feel the need to show off. Quite perfunctory in his speech.
For all intents and purposes the TARDIS is​ a time-capsule. Why go further into it?
Something I noticed/read into... First nano-soldier - Got himself in trouble, here swallow this (stop whining you did it to yourself) and kept working.
Soldier he rescued - Nope, you cannot come along, you are just a soldier.
The Dalek - Could not overcome its base program. Transferred its target, yet, still the usual Dalek. Here the Doctor is disappointed just as much with himself (to me that is) as well as the Dalek for choosing the hate instead of beauty.
Clara - Well... she has apparently proven herself. Gruff with her yes. Seemingly more patient though also.

Now... Gretchen. Soldier (nano). 'Do something good and name it after me'. She puts her faith in the Doctor. Not her role or her training - in him. She gets snatched by Missy.

Which made me think of the clockwork... What if in its own way it put its faith in the Doctor also. In so far as it could overcome its programing, just the tiniest bit, just enough for the Doctor, even though he said he did not believe himself, to help the clockwork along to the 'promised land'.

To sum up, if there is a connection with the Doctor believing you have overcome your programing, training or nature... and these are the ones Missy targets. Then this could become an interesting season. Especially with Mr. Pink.

RCH

Last edited:

RC Hagy

Explorer
''Morrus - if somebody sacrificed themself and gets collected by Missy, we'll have our answer!''

Blast you Morrus! Two sentences for what took me a half hour to drag out of my brain and make somewhat coherent!

RCH

Edit: Though I do believe a little more than sacrifice is required. If there is a 'trust/faith' component involved we might even see Clara visit Missy at some point. For there are very few who have as much trust and are willing to sacrifice for the Doctor than a companion.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

With all the stuff about the Doctors age, his 'real face' and him wearing his 'young' face like a veil I got the feeling that they were pushing at a timey-wimey reboot to Hartnells doctor.

I want Missy to be the Tardis, but we will see...

Remove ads