D&D General Does a campaign world need to exist beyond what the characters interact with?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
How about you roll up a new PC - sure. IME a player like this (who can sometimes be me) would already have dice in hand before this question even got asked. But, asking the player to play it a certain way is sometimes a near-guarantee of exactly the opposite end result.
Considering that you've got a group together to play DnD, having a character that shares the general motivations of the party isn't that big an ask. If the player constantly wandered off on their own adventures, then that's a sure fire way of getting booted from the group. One of the things that annoys me the most is players who don't want to work with the rest of the party.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The map-is-blank guy did just this - his character went on a solo trip around the world, which the player and DM took care of in their own off-cycle sessions.

Before marriage, kids and serious work and life obligations? Sure, I'd veer the PC off and DM them separately at a different time (back then ANY excuse to play!) Now? It takes massive scheduling just to get the group together once a month!

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Before marriage, kids and serious work and life obligations? Sure, I'd veer the PC off and DM them separately at a different time (back then ANY excuse to play!) Now? It takes massive scheduling just to get the group together once a month!
Yeah, the whole "everyone has a life now" really messes with scheduling.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Considering that you've got a group together to play DnD, having a character that shares the general motivations of the party isn't that big an ask. If the player constantly wandered off on their own adventures, then that's a sure fire way of getting booted from the group. One of the things that annoys me the most is players who don't want to work with the rest of the party.
I just see it as if it's what the character would do, then it's what the character does; and that takes priority over everything. With one non-negotiable caveat: what happens in character stays in character.

As DM I'll make the time to run solo-shots if needed; and players are always welcome to roll up new characters if their old ones have role-played themselves out of the party (which I greatly prefer over finding contrived excuses for characters to remain together when they otherwise would not). A character wandering off doesn't (or certainly shouldn't!) drag its player out with it; never mind that character is still out there and can come back in sometime later and-or form another party around itself with the same or different players attached. (the campaign/setting is always bigger than just one party or group)

And yes, sometimes getting a group of disparate or argumentative characters (not players, characters!) to work together can be an exercise in herding cats. I'm fine with that too: if they want to argue all night instead of getting on with the adventure, it means I don't have as much to prep for next session. :)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yea, I just don't see how a game really runs when a player and a DM just run a character in sessions that aren't part of the normal game itself. That seems more like a West Marches game with some extra steps.

I mean, I guess it works if you have the time and energy to run multiple concurrent games in a shared campaign world that lasts for many years, but that seems to be fundamentally at odds with the way modern playstyles work.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
So what do you think? How do you run it? Is your campaign setting realized and existing even without character interaction? Or do you only detail what the characters are interested in?
I...don't really do either one?

We play to find out what happens--but I also do prep work. A fair amount of prep work, actually. I try to give enough weight, enough significance to things so that there is the feeling that yes, the world really does exist beyond the limits of what the players directly interact with. I try to have at least some prepared thoughts, some underlying connections. I don't really know how, for example, you can have a true mystery (e.g., something where there's a definite "whodunnit" but you have to piece together the clues) without preparing to at least some degree the answer to questions like, well, "who done it?" But that doesn't mean that the path is fixed, nor that one cannot discover new information which casts the old in a new light.

For example, a while back the party was tracking down a woman who had been married to several different spouses, each of whom had died, with just enough justification to throw off suspicion (e.g. one died of injuries from combat, another of illness, one was murdered by someone else, etc.) The party already had their reasons for tracking this woman down, it would take too long to explain why, suffice it to say they were committed to ending her. But as they delved deeper, they began to realize (read: we as a group discovered) that things weren't as they seemed. Far from being a conniving manipulator, she seemed genuinely unaware of her connection to anything nefarious. The players dug deeper and discovered, to their horror, that in a very real sense the woman was unaware: the pact she had made with her succubus patron (matron?), due to her failing health as a teenager, was powered by grief. So each time, the succubus removed any memories she had of the pact and other such things, so that the grief at the death of her spouse would always be real. Needless to say, the party completely changed their goals at that point, and decided to try to find a way to break this lady out of the cycle she was trapped in, rather than kill her to complete the contract they were fulfilling.

And all of this came about because the party Druid signed a contract with a devil. I did a fair amount of work (as I've said many times here) to make my devils interesting and not complete idiots, and that information is stuff the party only learned during the process of working through this situation. Is that "realized and existing even without character interaction"? Is that "only detail[ing] what the characters are interested in"? Is it both? Neither?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yea, I just don't see how a game really runs when a player and a DM just run a character in sessions that aren't part of the normal game itself. That seems more like a West Marches game with some extra steps.

I mean, I guess it works if you have the time and energy to run multiple concurrent games in a shared campaign world that lasts for many years, but that seems to be fundamentally at odds with the way modern playstyles work.
At odds, maybe, but it's what I like to do.

Remove ads