• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does a divine version of Fox's Cunning exist?

Pazu

First Post
Just wondering, since my poor archivist can buff everyone else's key stat but not her own.

A quick perusal didn't turn anything up, but I haven't studied this question in depth yet.

frankthedm

First Post
Ah, a built in limit on buffing one's own mental stat. A fine bit of Divine Retribution delivered by the rules against those who steal the god's and nature's blessings. ;)

Better start saving up for that headband...

Pazu

First Post
frankthedm said:
Ah, a built in limit on buffing one's own mental stat. A fine bit of Divine Retribution delivered by the rules against those who steal the god's and nature's blessings. ;)

Ha, that's pretty good! But, you know, if they didn't want them used by those with inquiring minds, they wouldn't leave their sacred writings lying around for people to find! ;)

Better start saving up for that headband...

Well, if worst comes to worst, I'll take Craft Wondrous Item next level. It'll serve as a prerequisite for Loremaster, if nothing else.

I swear, though, I thought I had it made when we saved the NPC adept's life and indentured him to our ship's crew.

Me: "Woohoo! Divine lightning bolt and polymorph, here I come!"
DM: "You're going to be waiting a while; he's 1st level."
Me: :\
DM: "Have you taken a look at the adept's spell progression?"
Me: :(
DM: "Since he's an NPC, he only gets half the XP everyone else does."
Me: :( :(
DM: "You'll be waiting a while."
Me: "... Can I sell the adept and buy a scroll of Call Lightning instead?"

(He did let me scribe divine versions of Sleep and Burning Hands, though, so I can't really complain.)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Pazu said:
Well, if worst comes to worst, I'll take Craft Wondrous Item next level.

You've already got Scribe Scroll. Collaborate with the party wizard to scribe a scroll of Fox's Cunning, with you supplying the feat and the XP and him supplying the spell prerequisite.

As the supplier of the XP, you are the creator; the arcane or divine nature of the scroll is determined by the class of the creator. Presto - one divine scroll of Fox's Cunning.

-Hyp.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
Or jsut make it one of those what-was-WOTC-thinking moments and give all stat buff spells to both arcane and divine casters like I do in my campaigns.

If that is not an option, ask you DM if you can esearch a divine version of that spell.

Pazu

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
You've already got Scribe Scroll. Collaborate with the party wizard to scribe a scroll of Fox's Cunning, with you supplying the feat and the XP and him supplying the spell prerequisite.

As the supplier of the XP, you are the creator; the arcane or divine nature of the scroll is determined by the class of the creator. Presto - one divine scroll of Fox's Cunning.

:confused: Can that really work? That ought to make wizards pretty happy, too, then.

Of course, I highly doubt my DM would allow this, RAW notwithstanding.

Pazu

First Post
EyeontheMountain said:
Or jsut make it one of those what-was-WOTC-thinking moments and give all stat buff spells to both arcane and divine casters like I do in my campaigns.

If that is not an option, ask you DM if you can esearch a divine version of that spell.

I'm thinking I'll try that route and see what he says. Money's a bit tight, of course, since most of it has gone into scroll purchase and scribing costs.

Or I could find out whether divine bards exist in this world. We were allowed at least some of the options from Unearthed Arcana for our characters.

Jack Simth

First Post
Pazu said:
:confused: Can that really work? That ought to make wizards pretty happy, too, then.

Well, there's an aspect he neglected to mention:

While a Wizard-11 and a Cleric-11 can get together and make a Divine scroll of Planar Binding and an Arcane scroll of Heal, neither of them can use either (without UMD), as the result is either: A) Not on their class list, or B) Not of the appropriet type. Argueably, a Cleric with the Magic domain would have a chance... but that's about it.

Now, it works great for spells that are on both class lists, such as Comprehend Languages, but otherwise? Not so much.

Dracorat

First Post
Pazu said:

No that's not allowed. Such collaboration works for creating wondrous items, but not for scrolls.

Scribe Scroll [Item Creation]
Prerequisite

Caster level 1st.
Benefit

You can create a scroll of any spell that you know. Scribing a scroll takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. The base price of a scroll is its spell level × its caster level × 25 gp. To scribe a scroll, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of this base price.

Any scroll that stores a spell with a costly material component or an XP cost also carries a commensurate cost. In addition to the costs derived from the base price, you must expend the material component or pay the XP when scribing the scroll.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Dracorat said:
No that's not allowed. Such collaboration works for creating wondrous items, but not for scrolls.

CRAFT WONDROUS ITEM [ITEM CREATION]
Prerequisite: Caster level 3rd.

Benefit: You can create any wondrous item whose prerequisites you meet.

"You" in the description of item creation feats isn't exclusive; you can create a wondrous item whose prerequisites you don't meet, as long as you're collaborating with someone who does.

Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item’s creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed).

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads