• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does Anybody Else Seriously Love the Monster Manual? My Thoughts on the MM.

You technically don't even need the DMG for adding on racial traits to those NPCs for the core races. The MM itself notes you can add on racial traits, and the racial traits are all mostly found in the PHB.

Last edited:

The one problem with adding on racial traits is that you have to do the same thing with humans or they fall behind. Which means you are always adding something or another to those NPCs stat blocks regardless of the race. The racial traits for the standard races in the DMG also don't list all the traits (even relevant ones like a hill dwarf getting an extra hp per level). I think the intention was in the right place, but there are issues with implementation.

My simple solution is not to add any of the ability score boosts for the races, but all the other features. There are certain specific exceptions, such as mountain dwarves. In that case I'd just say they get a +1 to attack and damage with strength based weapons. For humans, I would go with the variant human, and say they get the Resilient feat. Assigning a save bonus to Con or Str for warrior types, Wis for spellcastery types, and Dex for everyone else is really easy and can be done on the fly. For skills, just give them an extra skill appropriate to their profession; probably athletics for warrior types and ignorable for most others.

That's what I'm thinking, since it means I don't have to mess with the actual stat blocks and is doable on the fly. The biggest actual change to make is to give hill dwarves that extra 1 hp per hit die. Otherwise it's all situational stuff that just relies on knowing the non-ability score traits of the various races and applying when needed. As far as the monsters conversions listed in the DMG...those work less well with the simple NPC statblocks in the MM. I'd probably use something along those lines for building full class-based characters, but use the monster entry stat blocks for monsters whenever possible, avoiding applying them to the simple NPC entries.

Nebulous

Legend
I personally feel that the monsters needed more "oomph." 4th edition, while by far my least favorite edition, did some things well, and giving monsters a "schtick" was one of them. In a similar thread a while back I posted a compilation of powers from 13th Age (which is similar to 4e) that can have monster abilities fairly easily imported into 5e. Now, this isn't for everyone, but some people like having extra options to change monsters from "just a sack of hit points."

https://app.box.com/s/tceem0vkcjgq9rfa8h8h

trentonjoe

Explorer
I personally feel that the monsters needed more "oomph." 4th edition, while by far my least favorite edition, did some things well, and giving monsters a "schtick" was one of them. In a similar thread a while back I posted a compilation of powers from 13th Age (which is similar to 4e) that can have monster abilities fairly easily imported into 5e. Now, this isn't for everyone, but some people like having extra options to change monsters from "just a sack of hit points."

https://app.box.com/s/tceem0vkcjgq9rfa8h8h

That's awesome. I love the Glabrezu Power Word Stun Reaction.

Kinneus

Explorer
Needs More Templates: Not really. Most of the templates were more trouble than was necessary. What is the difference between an orc or human skeleton? An elf vampire or a tiefling vampire? Most of these changes would only need to add a few key racial traits and description to the monsters. Similarly, swapping out lich spells or giving a vampire casting is much easier than having to build a full NPC and then rebuild him with the template. A few others are redundant (half-fiendish compared to cambions or tieflings) or unneeded (summoning aside do you need the celestial template?)

Needs Standard Humans/Elves/Dwarves as Enemies: Didja MISS the giant section of NPC stat blocks? Cultist, Arcmage, Knight, Thug, Guard, etc? THERE are your Human NPCs. Want elves and dwarves? the DMG has a quick page of add ons to make elven archmages, dwarven knights, etc. The DMG page also has some simple monster race stats too, so you can make hobgoblin cultists, skeleton knights, orc thugs, etc. You can even use this page to customize other monsters (elf vampires, hobgoblin ghouls) if you want.

No, I saw them. I just think it's a tad ridiculous that I have to edit a monster to get a basic elven scout, or a dwarven warrior or something like that.

For example: I was personally disappointed that atropals weren't in the MM, because they're a personal favorite monster of mine. But you'll notice I didn't include that in my list of gripes earlier, because I don't think it's a legitimate complaint. Sure atropals are cool to me personally, but they also are kind of a niche monster, and the MM was pretty packed as it was, so I can understand why they wouldn't be included.

It would be an unusual campaign, though, where the party didn't encounter elves, dwarves, skeletons or zombies even once. So the fact that they don't get any (or, in the case of basic undead, more) attention seems unusual to me. Not quite a mistake, not quite an oversight, but a design/editing decision I don't personally agree with at all. So a gripe, I guess. I hear a lot of people say, "Oh, there's no difference between an orc skeleton or a human skeleton." Agreed! There is, however, a very large difference between a human skeleton and an owlbear skeleton. Or an orc zombie and chimera zombie. This is why a template would've been useful, and it's baffling to me that's lacking in a book that managed to find space for flumphs, xorn, and like six dang pages for modrons. Did the designers really think, "Oh, we don't need to include stats for a dwarven warrior. When do PCs ever run into those? But let's make sure to include the merrow, everybody knows mutated evil mermaids are a mandatory part of any campaign."

So not only did it fail to cover the basics (in my eyes; yes I can modify the NPCs but it strikes me as odd that I have to modify anything to make a bog-standard elf), what is there is overly-focused on "evil humanoids what hit you with clubs." Seriously. Like a dozen monsters fall into that category. Goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, gnolls, orcs, ogres, trolls, ettins, hill giants, grimlocks, troglodytes, kobolds... and I'm probably missing a few. We have pages and pages of those. And even where there were opportunities to differentiate some creatures mechanically (like salamanders), nope. We got more of the same; evil humanoid with oh yeah sure fire resistance.

Again, I love the 5e MM. I'm just saying it wasn't perfect.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
I kinda like the Icy Delusions and Frozen Flesh abilities for frost giants.

I liked those also. Maybe I should go back through that list and really work them over to 5e standards. Would that interest anyone? My idea is just to have plug and play powers you can slap onto anything you want for added complexity.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
No, I saw them. I just think it's a tad ridiculous that I have to edit a monster to get a basic elven scout, or a dwarven warrior or something like that.

What is so special about an elven scout that the NPC scout from the MM + giving him fey ancestry, darkvision, and a bonus cantrip doesn't give him? You don't have to re-invent the wheel; its not like you have to recalculate skill points or something. At most, you add +2 Dex (+1 checks, AC, and bow hit/damage) which can be done on a scrap of paper.

It would be an unusual campaign, though, where the party didn't encounter elves, dwarves, skeletons or zombies even once. So the fact that they don't get any (or, in the case of basic undead, more) attention seems unusual to me. Not quite a mistake, not quite an oversight, but a design/editing decision I don't personally agree with at all. So a gripe, I guess. I hear a lot of people say, "Oh, there's no difference between an orc skeleton or a human skeleton." Agreed! There is, however, a very large difference between a human skeleton and an owlbear skeleton. Or an orc zombie and chimera zombie. This is why a template would've been useful, and it's baffling to me that's lacking in a book that managed to find space for flumphs, xorn, and like six dang pages for modrons. Did the designers really think, "Oh, we don't need to include stats for a dwarven warrior. When do PCs ever run into those? But let's make sure to include the merrow, everybody knows mutated evil mermaids are a mandatory part of any campaign."

Here is the dirty little thing I figured out about 5e templates: They aren't used to build monsters. They are quick modification that is added on "on the fly", not what is used to build new monsters. Let me explain.

Look at the 3.5 zombie. Apply it to an owlbear. What of the owlbear do you keep?

AC? Nope. Attack bonus? Nope. HP? Nope. Saves? Nada. Skills and Feats? Nope. Ability Scores? Not really. Special Abilities? Very few. What do you keep? Size, Natural Attacks, and Movement.

Why not take the owlbear, give it the zombie traits, and recalculate its Challenge? Its no less work than 3.5's template.

The same is true to liches, vampires, ghosts, and lycanthropes. 3.5's templates were just rules to build a new monster with (keeping in line with 3.5s everything must be accounted for mantra). They're unneeded thanks to the DMG giving us easy-yet-robust monster creation rules.

So I'd rather have weird creatures like Xorns and Modrons that have unique traits than to devote dozens of pages to redundant NPCs like "human scout, elf scout, dwarf scout" or unneeded templates. The rules in the DMG for monsters and NPCs handle both of these elegantly.

Moorcrys

Explorer
I liked those also. Maybe I should go back through that list and really work them over to 5e standards. Would that interest anyone? My idea is just to have plug and play powers you can slap onto anything you want for added complexity.

I would love that. Really great stuff.

Remove ads