• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does Anybody Else Seriously Love the Monster Manual? My Thoughts on the MM.

Pickles JG

First Post
I personally feel that the monsters needed more "oomph." 4th edition, while by far my least favorite edition, did some things well, and giving monsters a "schtick" was one of them.

https://app.box.com/s/tceem0vkcjgq9rfa8h8h

I point out that pretty much all of the old 1-3HD humanoid types have some simple rule like this & in practice it works very well to distinguish them. Sneaky goblins scary packs of kobbolds, hard hitting hobgoblins etc.
Some of them are less successful - Gnoll ferocity will almost never proc & their "leader" is not good at leveraging it either. Zombie death saves are great too :)

I agree the biggest lack is in the mid CR stuff as devil & dragons etc have more abilities.
Even there the Otyugh has a marvellous attack ability, trolls regenerate, Chull tentacle you etc.

Nebulous

Legend
I point out that pretty much all of the old 1-3HD humanoid types have some simple rule like this & in practice it works very well to distinguish them. Sneaky goblins scary packs of kobbolds, hard hitting hobgoblins etc.
Some of them are less successful - Gnoll ferocity will almost never proc & their "leader" is not good at leveraging it either. Zombie death saves are great too :)

I agree the biggest lack is in the mid CR stuff as devil & dragons etc have more abilities.
Even there the Otyugh has a marvellous attack ability, trolls regenerate, Chull tentacle you etc.

Yeah, you're right, it's not like the monsters are dull 100% across the board, but they're also not 100% interesting, which is a shame because I know it could have been done. Anyway, that's why I created that list, to make it as easy as possible to slap something on a creature to give it an added layer.

I want to point out, since you mentioned troll regeneration, 13th Age had a regeneration in that list that I also really like.

Nebulous

Legend
)

Oh, that list is chock FULL of neat little abilities for demons and dragons, you could just create some horrible things by piecing a few of them together and giving it a theme.

Oppression Demon

Curse aura: Whenever a creature attacks the creature and rolls a natural 1–5, the attacker takes 1d10 psychic damage
Supernatural assaultt: Whenever an enemy within 30’ of the creature rolls a save, it takes its level in damage.
Summon fodder: Once per battle, if the monster is bloodied, it can gate in 2d4 demons/allies as a free action. Roll initiative for the new allies; they do not appear in the battle and take their turns until their next initiative count comes up.

Remove ads