• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Anyone Else LOVE the new Detect Magic?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I find the description unnecesarily verbose. I'd recommend this simplified version, which conveys the same information:

Detect Magic
Minor divination

It detects magic in a 30 foot cone. The DM determines exactly how.

I like your thinking.... we could cut down on page count this way.

Magic Missile
Minor evocation

Magical dart(s) hit one or more creatures. The DM determines exactly how many and what damage, if any, it does.
*eyeroll*

The playtest version is a lot more detailed and restricted than the version I've been using for years.

Detect Magic
Range: 0
Duration: 2 turns
Effect: Everything within 60'
When he casts this spell, the spellcaster will see a glow surround all magical objects, creatures, and places which are visible and within range of the spell. No saving throw is allowed.
Example: Shortly after casting this spell, a magic-user walks into a room containing a door locked by magic, a magical potion lying nearby, and a treasure chest containing a magical wand. All the magic will glow, but the spellcaster can see only the door and potion; the light of the glowing wand is hidden by the treasure chest.

D&D Rules Cyclopedia, pg. 45​

I've used this version in every edition since 1986. Oddly enough, we still have fun.

PinkRose

Explorer
Don't tell me how to roleplay!!!!!!!

What if I don't want to play exciting and interesting?
Your rules are too restrictive to my game.

slobo777

First Post
Don't tell me how to roleplay!!!!!!!

What if I don't want to play exciting and interesting?
Your rules are too restrictive to my game.

Ah, what you need is more rules, to empower the player.

How about: "You are born, you may choose a destiny from one of the four choices here, and the DM is expected to narrate it to entertain you. Look out for expansion books which give you more designer-prescribed choices."

Aaron

First Post
I don't get why I should pay for a book that tells me "make up your own rules".
I can do that for free, thanks.

I want to know that what I'm going to propose to my players is something thoroughly playtested. That's what I will pay for.

I will pay for a book that answers to most of the questions that will come up during the game, and saves me the time and the pain to make up coherent rules on the fly, and make the in-game world coherent and believable.

"Playtest" is the magic word.

PinkRose

Explorer
Well, so far there are no books to pay for, so I'm looking forward to seeing what those books have.
Through the playtest and the feedback, we are helping to fill those books.
Even with the "make up your own" edict from Gygax, the original DMG book had 200+ pages.
We got 9.

erf_beto

First Post
Dear lord, such a lengthy discussion over Detect Magic? Really? A minor spell that has been under DM reigns since day one? No wonder Magic Missile is being pummeled all over the forums...

S

Sunseeker

I'm glad to see detect magic written this way, it's how I've always run it anyway, same with "detect anything". I've always felt it's one of those spells that never needed more than a sentence or two.

Aenghus

Explorer
The issue I find with ill-defined game elements like the current detect magic is that you end up with situations where a player believes the spell should be able to find something, the referee doesn't but doesn't tell the player that, and what follows is a comedy of errors with the player thinking he has exhaustively searched a location, and the referee getting increasingly annoyed with the player he sees as timewasting.

I've seen situations like this, where the referee thinks it's clear the spell won't work, but doesn't say so, and the player is equally sure the spell will work. Often the more committed the referee is to his opinion the less likely he will indicate or explain it.

Badly defined spells and other game elelents make communication more difficult and massively increase the chances of misunderstandings that make the game less fun.

A good referee can cope with ill-defined game elements, but most referees in my experience are average or worse.

Remove ads